We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lorraine or Champagne

Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lorraine or Champagne

Hi All,

Planning a trip for April. Will be in Brussels and leave early AM to leave south to Luxembourg and then will have 2 more full days, and the 4th day start our trek back to Amsterdam. So, basically Friday AM can leave Brussels (rent a car to return in AMS, not expensive, and we do not mind driving around) and drive south, and would like to cross Luxembourg and visit/spend that night in Luxembourg city. Then, will have the whole weekend and Monday start the drive back to Schipol, AMS, and then Tuesday AM fly back. We are a couple with 2 children 3 and 5. We are not looking for "children activities"; they enjoy being with us. For that area we are not interested in museums or wine/champagne tourism, but visit churches, walk around large and small towns and get a quick feel for it, and enjoy the food :). The more we can see the better (I know we could spend weeks and not see it all, etc, but the idea is to see a bit of the area). So, in short, questions are:

-would you advise Champagne or Lorraine?

-it is crazy to try and see both areas in a weekend I guess (On Friday will be for Luxembourg and Monday drive back going through Germany I guess), however:

-an option is drive south from Belgium into Champagne area and return via Luxembourg from the Lorraine area

-one caveat is that after we might do a motorhome trip in Germany including black forest, so Alsace would be covered there, perhaps making it more realistic to see a bit of Lorraine and Champagne in this limited amount of time?

Thanks all for your great input!! Any preliminary advise/ideas? Which are the MUST see towns?

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Amsterdam Airport...
Schiphol, The Netherlands
Luxembourg City
Luxembourg City
Luxembourg District, Luxembourg
Lorraine
Lorraine
Grand Est, France
Germany
Germany
Europe
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
582 Reviews
from US$74.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,240 Reviews
from US$103.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
646 Reviews
from US$48.60*
2 replies to this topic
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lorraine or Champagne

This is not an easy choice. Much might depend on where you are likely to be just before and after your excursion to Lorraine or Champagne other things being equal for time obligations. Either place for me would be time well spent in eastern France. Metz and Nancy have much to keep you busy. The border proximity with Luxembourg does interest many people who like Luxembourg as a country including the capitol city. Do not think that Luxembourg can be readily or easily squeezed into a two day visit to Lorraine or Champagne. Not worth trying it. I would agree that probably it would be crazy and too hurried to see both areas - Lorraine and Champagne - during the same week-end. Give yourself a fair chance to visiting one area and save the other one for another voyage. It will be there. Nancy and Metz as cities might out weigh interests of certain people who prefer the more small town nature of Champagne if their primary reason for going there is to taste wine and champaign. Preferences for visiting larger cities should be easily or readily considered. A side trip to German would exclude time leftover for Lorraine and Champagne region. Which part of Germany? Black forest is not next door to Lorraine. So much of Germany in those parts of the country is another kettle of cultural fish better left for another voyage if it is possible. Proximity of Lorraine to Alsace culturally and geographically speaking might be an advantage for you. My preference would be Lorraine with the option to visit Luxembourg on the next voyage if time permits. Metz has the cathedral St.Etienne, the museum of art and history, the old church St.Pierre aux Nonnains built on the site of the fourth century basilica. Nancy has the Historical museum of Lorraine, Museum of fine arts and Place Stanislas, and the Musee of L'Ecole de Nancy for furniture, ceramics and glassware. Art Nouveau is on display. Nancy is an eighteenth century city in design for restoration with connections with the royal court at that time. If you are serious art museum people then maybe these two cities would attract you to visit Lorraine. By comparison Champagne might be too extensive and large an area with so many first class cities or towns essential for knowing French history. Two days might not be enough time for seeing so many places in Champagne. Research these areas and make a decision that matches up with your personal tastes and travel goals. You should identify or itemize your priorities and group them according to location and proximity. Look at your travel style. Rheims and its cathedral will attract you and many others. Far too many places to visit to know about how champagne is made there. The connections with world war I are there to be seen at Sedan. Troyes and Langres deserve your attention. Nancy and Metz can be easily visited with nothing left undone unless you choose to go elsewhere. Not necessarily the case with with Champagne. Choose Lorraine. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lorraine
Lorraine
Grand Est, France
France
France
Europe
Metz
Metz
Moselle, France
Nancy
Nancy
Meurthe-et-Moselle, France
Germany
Germany
Europe
Black Forest
Black Forest
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Saint-Etienne
Saint-Etienne
Loire, France
Hotel Saint-Pierre
Hotel Saint-Pierre
445 Reviews
Saumur, France
Sedan
Sedan
Ardennes, France
Troyes
Troyes
Aube, France
Langres
Langres
Haute-Marne, France
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lorraine or Champagne

Guido, thanks for your advise. I was kind of suspecting that, and very useful, so thanks for your time and input!

Merci!

Reply to: Lorraine or Champagne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted