We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I find out if I’m banned from France?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
How do I find out if I’m banned from France?

I had an incident in France 3 years ago where I was arrested. When I was released after a couple of days I was told I would have to come back for a court hearing. On my return to the UK my partner at the time employed a solicitor to deal with the situation but the whole saga was quite confusing. I know I was told not to return to France for a certain period of time but I cannot remember how long it was. Is there any where I can contact to find out when my ban is up?

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
603 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
663 Reviews
from US$48.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,250 Reviews
from US$103.60*
5 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,159 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I find out if I’m banned from France?

Ask the Solicitor.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I find out if I’m banned from France?

I’m not sure which solicitor was used and unable to ask as we’re not together

Essex
Level Contributor
31,159 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I find out if I’m banned from France?

Life is tough, sorry. Step-up and ask the Ex, or forever be in the dark.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I find out if I’m banned from France?

I suppose you could hire another solictor to find out. I think there is an information system that lists the length of bans, I know there is for visa violations (called the Schengen Information System).

If you didn't even serve any time in prison, it would probably be 3 years, I think. I'd make sure 3 years were up. Then since you live in London, it wouldn't be too hard to try to go and find out, would it? But I don't know if that would get you in trouble for trying, if you aren't allowed in.

I think you can petition France to give you your information from that system, but I'd let a solicitor handle it.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
France
France
Europe
Chicago
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I find out if I’m banned from France?

I would agree that you should retain someone to find out.

Now, as a semi-retired attorney myself, I am going to further tell you that once you have the information, make sure it is written down and keep all such info in a safe place. Also, if you don’t understand something, ask questions until you do. It’s your life, you are the one who needs to know these things. I say this because you apparently haven’t the foggiest notion what happened in court, and that is not a good situation.

Reply to: How do I find out if I’m banned from France?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted