We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
460 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

We enjoy small countryside family-run hotel/restaurants (it's so civilized to go downstairs for dinner after a day out & about), and now we're planning a September return to Alsace by car.

I've spent more hours today that I care to admit here on TA and elsewhere looking for such places near or along the wine route, in the proximity of Colmar. Although I've found a couple that are in the running, nothing jumps out at us so far. And so I'm hoping that some others might have some recs. We are looking for a three-or-so-star hotel with a fine restaurant or excellent weinstube. (We'll probably have two dinners "in," and others in outside restaurants -- and so recs on outside restaurants will be appreciated as well.)

Optimally, we'd like to find a hotel near/ between Ribeauville in the north, and Guebwiller in the south -- but we will consider places 20/30 km farther north and south of those.

Thanks. -- Jake

Mentioned in this post
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Ribeauville
Ribeauville
Haut-Rhin, France
France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

I stayed here a few years ago - the restaurant was very good (it has it's own vineyard) and the rooms really comfortable. Rouffach was nice village, not at all touristy but you're on the route to all the other better known villages.

slh.com/destinations/…

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

Could you give some further indication of how much you'd be prepared to pay, and if you have any specific requirements eg must have a bath rather than just a shower/own parking lot/double or twin or family room etc ... and if you would be prepared to walk a few hundred yards maximum to a nice restaurant if your hotel doesn't serve dinner ... if the hotel was a special one.

How many of there will there be in your party?

Jon88400, what was the name of the hotel you stayed in in or near Rouffach?

Edited: 18 January 2011, 20:11
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

Whoops sorry Jon ............ now see that it was the Château d'Isenbourg. I can confirm that this is a lovely place ... but I would think it borders on 4-star and is not really a family-run business, though I'd certainly recommend a stay here!

I'll wait for Paris_and_beyond to reply as to pricing and other queries and then come back with some additional suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
460 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

Thanks, Jon and Alsacienne. Château d'Isenbourg looks nice, and it's possible for us. But we also are interested in something that will have a more contemporary feel about it. Budget: About 120 Euros -- and up to about 160 Euros -- per room, excluding dining. We will be willing to go higher if warranted. (For this part of our trip we are will be with another couple who will be celebrating a significant anniversary; and so we will need two rooms for the four of us). -- Jake

Edited: 18 January 2011, 22:25
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
460 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

PS to Alsacienne: Ooops, I neglected to respond to all of your questions: Re "requirements eg must have a bath rather than just a shower/own parking lot/double or twin or family room etc ... and if you would be prepared to walk a few hundred yards maximum to a nice restaurant if your hotel doesn't serve dinner." Bath would be nice, just a shower is OK; walking to dinner will be fine; we need to park a car, but we are not picky about that; and, being two couples, we will want two rooms. Thanks again. -- Jake

Edited: 18 January 2011, 23:12
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

Here are a selection of hotels that might interest you. I know most of them personally, and they range from the traditional to contemporary in furnishing. Not all of them have restaurants for evening meals, in which case I suggest possibilities nearby. They are worth a look, in addition to the Chateau d'Isenbourg mentioned by Jon88400. Nearly all of them are family-owned, but it can be a big family with extra employees to keep things running smoothly!

Beblenheim : Le Kanzel: www.kanzel.com .. no restaurant but easily accessible for Le Bouc Blanc in Beblenheim itself and many restaurants - some excellent - in Riquewihr, about a kilometer or a short drive. Excellent location with stunning views. Not far from Zellenberg where I recommend the Restaurant Maximilien.

Bergheim : La Cour de Bailli: www.cour-bailli.com .. very rustic and literally a stone's throw from the Auberge des Lavandiers and the Wistub du Sommelier restaurants

Colmar: Le Maréchal: www.le-marechal.com .. exceptional location in Petite Venise, individually furnished rooms with separate prices. Good restaurant but very near others, such as J-Ys and the Trois Poissons.

Colmar: Les Têtes: www.maisondestetes.com ... lovely old building centrally-situated but not noisy. Car park behind hotel. Good restaurant.

Colmar: Le Colombier: www.hotel-le-colombier.fr ... central to Petite Venise with contemporary décor. Very close to large choice of restaurants.

Colmar: Le Rapp: www.rapp-hotel.com .. central, traditional hotel

Herrlisheim - just south of Colmar - Au Moulin: www.aumoulin.net .. no restaurant but driveable to large choice of restaurants in Eguisheim or Colmar. Set in beautiful countryside and peaceful.

Eguisheim: Hotel du Château: www.hostellerieduchateau.com - may not have restaurant but very close to Au Vieux Porche and Pavillon Gourmand restaurants and many others that I don't know so well!

Eguisheim: Auberge Alsacienne: www.auberg-alsacienne.net

Fouday: somewhat lost in countryside to the west of Colmar but with a great restaurant .... Hotel Julien .. www.hoteljulien.com

Guémar-Illhaeusern: La Clarière : www.hotel-la-clariere.com .. in peaceful countryside within 10 mins driving distance of excellent restaurants in Illhauesern, Bergheim, Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr.

Husseren-les-Chateaux: www.hotel-husseren-les-chateaux.com .. set in the foothills of the Vosges with stunning views, contemporary comfy hotel with good restaurant.

Illhaeusern: Hotel des Berges: www.hoteldesberges.com and its famous restaurant L'Auberge de l'Ill www.auberge-de-l-ill.com. This is THE place to splurge for that special occasion ... it will cost you but it is really worth it!! (We went there to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and had a 'set meal'. It was an occasion to remember for the rest of our lives for all the right reasons! ) The hotel is run by the same family and shares the same grounds, which is really a misnomer because it's an estate on the banks of the river. They even offer boat trips on warm days, but you must ask and book in advance. BOOK NOW for September, because it's very hard to get in! The restaurant has 3 - yes THREE - Michelin stars, but you are treated as royalty without feeling uncomfortable and the food is out of this world. The hotel is comfortable, contemporary and would tick all your boxes immediately ... perhaps not the room rate though! You could always stay elsewhere and have your splurge dinner of your trip here. BOOK NOW for the restaurant though!!

Kaysersberg: Le Chambard: www.lechambard.fr ... central, traditional but good restaurant

Kaysersberg: Les Remparts: www.lesreparts.com ... at the other end of the town, but 5 mins walk maximum from the centre. New, clean and contemporary.

Munster: La Verte Vallee: www.vertevallee.com .. comfy, contemporary with a good restaurant. A good compromise between the wine road and the mountains, and accessible for both.

Riquewihr: A l'Oriel: www.hotel-oriel.com no restaurant but close to several good ones. Family run and traditional.

Riquewihr: La Couronne: www.hoteldelacouronne.com .. traditional and friendly, with more restaurants within a stone's throw than you could shake a stick at.

Riquewihr: Hotel Le Schoenenbourg: www.hotel-schonenbourg.fr .. I don't know this one personally, but it seems to tick most of your boxes .... feedback welcomed.

Selestat: Abbaye la Pommeraie: www.relaischateaux.fr/pommeraie ... but might be a bit pricey

Soultz: Chateau d'Anthes: wwwchateaudanthes.com ... again I don't know this one personally but I've heard that it's good.

Thannenkirch: Le Touring: www.touringhotel.com ... friends tell me it's good and the restaurant is good though perhaps a bit pricey. Sorry I can't confirm from my own experience, but if this hotel can 'survive' in Thannenkirch which is just off the Wine Road, it must be doing things right!

Westhalten - south of Colmar, just 10 mins from Rouffach - Hotel Le Bollenberg: www.hoteldubollenberg.com ... at the top of a small hill, surrounded by beautiful countryside, with a hotel restaurant and a gourmet restaurant next door - Au Pressoir, run by the same family.

And just to add two restaurant recommendations ... in INGERSHEIM, the Taverne Alsacienne for gourmet French cuisine in a classic 'French' restaurant (www.tavernealsacienne-familleguggenbuhl.com/plan-du-site.htmland )a Michelin star and in GUEBERSCHWIHR, the Taverne Medieval (park on the main square and walk 200 m) for excellent Alsacian cuisine in a beautifully-romantic setting (resto.fr/restaurant/…8842), closed Tues and Wed. You couldn't want for a warmer welcome in either of these restaurants, one classic and polished (you should dress nicely!), and the other local, friendly and more-relaxed. I can recommend them both highly.

I hope that this starts you off, but please remember that September is usually when the wine harvest is in full swing, and a lot of people visit Alsace then because it's 'quieter' ... and the schools are in session, so you may need to reserve well ahead to get the hotel accommodation and special restaurant reservations you might wish.

Mentioned in this post
Chateau d'Isenbourg
Chateau d'Isenbourg
760 Reviews
Rouffach, France
Riquewihr
Riquewihr
Haut-Rhin, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Le Rapp
Le Rapp
107 Reviews
Colmar, France
Eguisheim
Eguisheim
Haut-Rhin, France
Au Vieux Porche
Au Vieux Porche
580 Reviews
Eguisheim, France
Auberge Alsacienne
Auberge Alsacienne
215 Reviews
Eguisheim, France
Hotel Julien
Hotel Julien
773 Reviews
Fouday, France
Vosges
Vosges
Grand Est, France
Hotel des Berges
Hotel des Berges
209 Reviews
Illhaeusern, France
Kaysersberg
Kaysersberg
Haut-Rhin, France
Chambard
Chambard
617 Reviews
Kaysersberg, France
La Couronne
La Couronne
199 Reviews
Carspach, France
Selestat
Selestat
Bas-Rhin, France
Taverne Medieval
Taverne Medieval
63 Reviews
Houssen, France
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
460 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

Alsacienne, Thanks very much for your time and suggestions. Some of these we know from prior trips and research, but many are new to us, and we look forward to investigating them -- and reporting back. -- Jake

8. Re: Small countryside family-run hotel/restaurant near Colmar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 09:15