We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Metz to Strasbourg by train, what price?

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
909 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip from Metz to Strasbourg by train, what price?

In july I will be in Metz for a couple of days, and would also like to visit Strasbourg. On the SNCF website it quotes tickets as costing more than 40 euro which really seems alot for such a short train ride, is this also the price you pay if you buy the ticket at the station?

If its the prices on the website a return ticket would cost 80 euro and if that's the case I would have to skip it.

Mentioned in this post
Metz
Metz
Moselle, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Black Forest and Strasbourg Day Trip...
139 Reviews
from US$267.30*
Alsace Day Trip from Strasbourg...
100 Reviews
from US$154.40*
Free Cancellation
Alsace Wine Route: Tasting Tour from...
35 Reviews
from US$154.40*
Free Cancellation
5 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Metz to Strasbourg by train, what price?

The single fare 2nd class using local TER trains is € 27,80.

Metz and Strasbourg are about 160 km apart, so that rail fare is well under 20 centimes per kilometre which sounds pretty cheap to me. Are Swedish trains cheaper than that?

Mentioned in this post
Metz
Metz
Moselle, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
909 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Metz to Strasbourg by train, what price?

Yes. 12€ from here to Malmö, standard price, ticket bought at the station. About 130 km.

For 20€ I can go all the way to Stockholm (547 km) if ticket is bought a month or so in advance online.

However, 27.80€ is doable. But the website quoted it as over 40.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 17:19
Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Metz to Strasbourg by train, what price?

Some connections are wholly or partly by TGV, these are market-priced, becoming more and more expensive closure to the date of travel, and with the ticket only valid on the train you have booked. TER local trains have standard prices (€ 27,80 in this case) and the tickets are valid by any TER train (but have to be validated before you start the journey).

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
909 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Metz to Strasbourg by train, what price?

Looked up the date I would like to go and it appears that if I buy tickets now I can get TGV ticket for only 17€ and get there twice as fast as the TER train!

I may buy TGV ticket now to get there and then buy return ticket on location (with regional TER train) as on day trips I prefer to be able to choose on location when to return.

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Metz to Strasbourg by train, what price?

If you want to do other day trips by TER train in the Grand Est region as well, you might consider buying the "Presto" reduction card for 30 Euros (20 Euros if under 26). This card gives 30 % reduction on weekdays and 70 % reduction on weekends for one year. With the card, a one-way trip Strasbourg - Metz will be only 8,40 Euros on Weekends. The card gives no reduction on TGV trains however.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Metz
Metz
Moselle, France
Reply to: Day trip from Metz to Strasbourg by train, what price?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted