We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

we have a departing flight from CDG at 11pm. Planning to catch the TGV train from Tours. we prefer a direct service to save to change lines in Paris (unless anyone has a reason why this would be better?)

Flight departs CDG (terminal 1) at 11:20pm. baggage check-in closes 90 mins prior (9:50pm).

2 options:

Departs Tours at 5pm. should have us at terminal 2 CDG at 6:40pm. this allows us plenty of time to change terminals and check in - but we have a 28hr flight home so the less time waiting in airports the better?

the second choice is to depart Tours at 7pm, arriving terminal 2 at 8:40, allowing 30 mins to change terminals, we should be in terminal 1 by 9:10.

there are 2 other factors here

1. we have a hire car to drop off before 5pm.

2. we would like a decent meal before catching such a long flight(s).

should we leave early - be safe - and eat at the airport?

OR

catch the later train, drop our car off early at Tours and try to find somewhere for a meal (near the station??) at 5pm (is there anything near by? will they be open?)

thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,482 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

Take the early train to have some margin for error. The last TGV train that I used was running 90 minutes late.

Buy food at a supermarket (or a charcuterie and boulangerie) during the afternoon, and a bottle of wine, and have a picnic on the train.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

I'd opt for the earlier option. Your second one is barely two hours before your departure and for an intercontinental flight that seems far too little allowance for me to feel comfortable.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

I would go back to Paris in the morning, store my luggage at the station, walk around for awhile, and have a nice afternoon meal before going to the airport.

The later (7 pm) train, scheduled to get you to your terminal 2 hours before flight departure, is WAY to close for my comfort!

I am a worrier, so I worry about strikes and all sorts of other things that could go wrong, and I would time my return to Paris by train several hours before my flight. (And I have had several close calls with missed flight connections, so my worries are valid.)

If there is a strike that day, you could drive to CDG instead of taking the train, if you left Tours early enough, but if the train is delayed while you are on it, your options are limited.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your super-quick responses!!!

I hadn't even considered strikes (even though I have read all about them :) )

I'll check out spending the day in Paris as AAL08 suggested but if nothing else, I will definitely catch the earlier train.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,482 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

Strikes are not usual. There is plenty of notice given, and they usually last no more than 24 hours. I think the trains were affected by strikes maybe 4 days last year. It really is not worth getting concerned about this.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

Take the earlier train, don't worry about strikes, they very rarely happen (3 days last year, if I remember correctly)

food at CDG is rubbish, best option is a takeaway salad. The only place that will be open when youre in Tours will be the station restaurant - but I would advise not taking the train from Tours, but St Pierre des corps. Avoid the food place there.

sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

Hi,

I read with interest your question as I have been trying to find the TGV timetable from CDG to Tours. Unfortunately, all options on voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/… show I'll need to catch RER then TGV (or vice versa) and the duration is 3 - 4 hours, unlike the 1.40 hour you have found.

Would you mind giving me a pointer as to where I can find TGV straight from CDG to Tours.

Thank you kindly

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,482 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

Go to www.tgv-europe.com/en and use Antarctic as your "Ticket collection country" to avoid redirection to RailEurope.

Look for trains between CDG and St-Pierre-des-Corps, which is the TGV station just outside Tours.

If you start typing "Par" as your start and then pause, you will get a drop-down menu from which you can select CDG. Similarly, if you type "Tour" as destination and pause, you can select St-Pierre-des-Corps.

sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

Thanks, Nick. I found the post that refers me to your article on buying french train tickets. Very helpful. Cheers

10. Re: timing question TGV - Tours to CDG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2013, 17:26
;