We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone use within Europe

Pittsburgh, PA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone use within Europe

My daughter will be staying in S. France while my other daughter and I go to Paris. I would like to be able to text/talk at any time with the one in S. France without roaming charges or international fees, or limited to wifi locations. Should we purchase to-go phones there, a sim card, etc. I am not phone savvy...she has an iphone...Thanks.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone use within Europe

talk to your current provider and see what your options are.

Forest Grove, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone use within Europe

I have been researching the same thing. We plan to purchase phones either when we get there or before we go via internet, which use the local service in France. I have an iPhone but it is not "unlocked" so I can't exchange the sim card for it. If you have a phone which is GSM compatible (not all are), and is "unlocked", you can just purchase a sim card for use in France. If you do a search on this site for "cell phone", you'll find many posts with more specific information, and links to websites.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone use within Europe

Look on places like craigslist and Kijiji... you can get an iPhone 3GS unlocked for $25 where I live and $50 for a 4S. Or call your phone company... some will unlock the phone for you.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone use within Europe

I just visited Tours and found my iPhone received texts but wouldn't send texts and wouldn't make calls. This has happened before in France.

There is a mobile phone shop in the same square as the Hotel de Ville - they sold me a Samsung E1050 phone. Also a sim with texts and calls valid for a 21 day period for 50 euros total. Thats way less cash than using roaming and it includes the phone!

I couldn't just fit a sim in the iPhone because it was "tied" to my UK phone company.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone use within Europe

Too bad you didn't realize your iPhone was locked... there are dozens of places near where I live who unlock them for 25 bucks for a 3 or 3 GS and $50 for a 4 or 4S. That's about 15 or 30 quid. So you pretty well broke even by getting the new phone. ;^)

6. Re: cell phone use within Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 12:15