We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Tours

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Tours

We will be spending three nights in Tours in September, which will give us two full days to explore. We are travelling by public transport. What places would anyone recommend that we visit in and around Tours itself? And can you suggest any particularly nice but not too pricey restaurants in Tours? Also, which of the chateaux are nearest/easiest to get to without a car? Any info would be appreciated, thanks. Can't seem to find what I need on their tourism website.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Tours

Restaurants are listed, tours are outlined, and general activities are described in the Office de Tourisme website:

www.ligeris.com

Place Plumereau has a good number of cafes and restaurants and should not be missed. There are a good number of restaurants along rue Colbert

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Tours

Thanks for that, Sarastro. I will check that website out. That's not the one I have been looking at so it may be a better one. Interesting to hear about Rue Colbert as, coincidentally, we have booked into Hotel Colbert. Good to know there will be some restaurants within easy reach of the hotel. We are also wondering whether to have breakfast at the hotel or go out for it (don't think it is included in the room price) so we can check places out when we arrive.

Orbigny, France
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Tours

I like the Lapin Fumee in Rue Colbert, classic small bistro not quick or fancy but in my experience good. I also like lunch at the Deuvaliere, for more details follow the link. http://frugalgourmet.eu/?p=186

pip pip

Lord Lucan

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Tours

Thanks for that, Lord Lucan. Checked both out and they look ideal. Intrigued to know where the Lapin Fumee got its name from though!!

Orbigny, France
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Tours

In addition Chenonceaux is easily reached by train as is Chinon. You can get the bus to Loches , Weds and Saturday is market day. In any event you can fritter a couple of days away in Tours which is a fine city well worth taking time over but often overlooked with collective Chateaux mania.

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Tours

All sounds great, thank you. I have noted all these suggestions.

Le Grand Pressigny...
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Tours

I would include a wander along the river to & then around the Jardin Botanique...perhaps as a pre-dinner appetiser :D

more info on the ligeris website link already supplied.

8. Re: Things to do in Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 12:15