We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris- Help!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
324 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Paris- Help!

Day trip from Paris to Tours- found a morning train leaving Montparnasse at a decent time 7:34, but can only find a return at 15:11- thats 3:11 pm- too early to be finished our tour. Is that because it is a saturday??. Tried an alternate date - Wednesday and could'nt find cheap tickets- only first class left- 74 Eu. vs. 30 Eu. Help

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,107 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

It is absolutely critical that you include specific dates when making train schedule inquiries. For late Saturday departures this month from Tours to Paris I see: 16h04, 17h22, 17h26, 17h22, 17h26, 18h04, 19h27, and 21h20.

www.voyages-sncf.com (in French only)

www.tgv-europe.com

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
324 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

So sorry. I am looking at October 20. Followed directions to website that I found on this site and used Antartica to get the train schedules as directed. Thanks for helping.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

For 20 Oct, you should be departures from Tours to Paris at 16h04, 17h26, 19h27, and 21h20.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

It sounds as if you have clicked the direct jorneys button. At most times of day it is neccessary to catch a shuttle train to St Pierre-des-Corps on the edge of town and change to the TGV there.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
324 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

Great info - that was the problem. I went on the website suggested by the tourist office- SNCF - and found the trains there- more expensive there though. Looks like $148 US. With adding the tour on at 270EU- I am not sure it is worth the excursion- we may just stay in Paris and find some more things to see.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
324 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

On Rail Europe website I can get the cost down to 86.4 Eu. What is the cost of getting from Tours to St. Pierre. That is not included in the price.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

<<On Rail Europe website I can get the cost down to 86.4 Eu.>>

On the SNCF site I can get the cost down to 21.30€ which I believe is a lot less for what is the same train.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
324 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

So confusing- I found on TGV Europe 62.60Eu for both of us if we take a later train back- dinner in Tours Perhaps?

I will revisit the sncf site and see what I find- Thanks

Mentioned in this post
TGV
TGV
1,328 Reviews
Paris, France
Europe
Europe
World
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

It would be a lot easier if you simply indicated the time (I believe that 20 Oct is the date) you want to leave Tours.

While is it true that most TGVs to Paris depart from St Pierre des Corps, it is only about 1 mile to the east of Tours Centre. There is a shuttle train that will take you to St Pierre des Corps in just a couple of minutes.

The tours you are asking about leave from in front of the Office de Tourisme which itself is just across the street from Tours Centre. It´s all very simple if you follow the guidelines offered here:

1. Reserve your tour tickets through the Office de Tourisme.

2. Purchase your TGV tickets from either www.voyages-sncf.com or www.tgv-europe.com

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,507 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Paris- Help!

When using voyages-sncf (in French) or tgv-europe (in English), it is essential that you do not give USA as your country, as this will cause you to be redirected to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains.

For detailed information about buying online, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm