We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip - November

Sacramento
Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
Quick trip - November

I’d love to take my high school senior son to Paris over Thanksgiving. We just have 6 days

Departing from Ca.

Am I crazy? I’m afraid this might be our last chance before college, which is out of state.

Thoughts?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
683 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
742 Reviews
from US$48.30*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,282 Reviews
from US$111.90*
13 replies to this topic
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
777 reviews
1. Re: Quick trip - November

Does not sound a bit crazy. Should be a good time to go expensive was as most of the conventions and trade shows are past and not a busy tourist time so getting into museums and the like should be good. Perhaps a soccer/football game if he is interested.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 08:27
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
566 reviews
2. Re: Quick trip - November

Not too bad of an idea. Of course, a direct flight LAX-CDG would be best but you do what you have to do.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,596 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: Quick trip - November

Sounds like an amazing time, to me! Let us know which airline you choose and how that goes. (We are flying Delta instead of Air France - long story, but we've ended up on Delta in any case out of LAX, and Delta's CS is better).

It's about the amount of time that a parent-child duo can enjoy together (we let our similarly aged daughter roam around Le Marais until 2 am as long as in text contact - perhaps we're crazy, but she really really liked it and was fine). The area around the Pompidou is very youthful and she really enjoyed the cross-cultural music references, etc, in the shops.

Does he like music? He might like Cité de la Musique. And Monk La Taverne de Cluny often has excellent gypsy jazz later in the evening (so the 5th is another really good place to stay).

One museum I'd recommend is L'Orangerie.

Also, Musée Cluny and perhaps, Napoleon's Tomb (nothing like it, even remotely, in California), and the Army Museum (really really interesting for anyone, I'd think - not too far from the Eiffel Tower).

You can do a lot in 6 days. I'd choose a hotel that has breakfast (to save time). Spring for uber as necessary.

If you can describe his interests, we can do more to convince you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
221 reviews
4. Re: Quick trip - November

What a wonderful idea from a wonderful mum. I'm available for adoption!

Sacramento
Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Quick trip - November

You are so helpful -thank you!

He’s in AP French and has a pretty advanced understanding of French history. (Unlike his mom)

Thinking of staying in the Marais?

His top three sights are:

Les invalides

The Louvre

Versailles

I’d love to do a river cruise and eat cheese and drink wine :-)

Thanks for the help!!

Sacramento
Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Quick trip - November

Haha!! :-)

Townsville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Quick trip - November

A fabulous idea to create a memory that will last a lifetime for yourself and your boy! I have just returned from a trip with two teens and we didn't go into any museums at their request, they had done enough with school trips earlier in the year and they really didn't want to just tick off paintings and sculptures because they're famous.

I took them to the shopping mall under the Louvre, Carrousel du Louvre, and they enjoyed taking photos with pyramid above and below ground. The only building I really wanted to see inside was the Palais Garnier and happily they were both impressed even though they weren't too fussed about it beforehand.

They absolutely loved the Paris Charms & Secrets Electric bike ride, climbing the Towers of Notre Dame (you can book a time via app now so you don't have to do lines), the Versailles Food & Bike tour and "How To Be Parisian in One Hour" comedy show. We didn't get to the catacombs because we didn't have enough time and their biggest request was to just wander and enjoy the atmosphere, so one day we wandered (strategically planned by me) around Montmartre seeing the love mural wall, Moulin Rouge, Van Gogh's house, the last two windmills, the only vineyard etc and ended up at Sacre Couer. Another day we wandered through the Tuileries gardens, Place de la Concorde and along the Champs Elysees to the Arc and ended up at the Trocadero. Another day was a wander along the Seine, across the Pont Neuf to Place Dauphine then to the Square du Vert Galant and sat on the point of Ile de Cite under a willow tree watching the boats of tourists glide past. When we visited the Square Barye on Ile Saint Louis they were invited to play bocce with a couple of locals which was a blast.

Plan your trip with your boy in mind and you will never regret it. Have fun!

Stuart
Level Contributor
83 posts
93 reviews
8. Re: Quick trip - November

I'll be in Paris over Thanksgiving break and can't wait! Having visited Paris numerous times before, I am looking forward to seeing the seasonal sites as well as revisiting my favorites.The Marais is a great neighborhood for wandering, and I prefer to stay in apartments (legal of course, with the 13 digit number) so that everyone has more space, can have a relaxed breakfast while the other sleeps, and the option of cooking meals using local ingredients. I plan on doing more evening walks to see the streets decorated for the season. Also,there will be two Christmas Markets: La Défense Esplanade which is described as, "Extending over 10,000 m², the village is filled with more than 300 chalets displaying crafts, 400 m² of festive decorations and a huge variety of stalls selling mouth-watering food" and La Tuileries (by Louvre) which is listed as also including a skating rink.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
459 posts
137 reviews
9. Re: Quick trip - November

California is fortunate not to have anything like Napoleon's tomb. A grandiose monstrosity installed by a two bit autocrat to memorialise his ancestor, a dictator who ravaged all over Europe until finally defeated by the British and the Prussians. I don't think the French see it like that.

The army museum is good if you like military bling.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Quick trip - November

My husband and I have gone to Paris at Thanksgiving a few times for a shorter period than you are going. It’s wonderful that time of year. Weather is great, not too cold, and fewer tourists. It’s not crazy, it’s a wonderful idea. Just don’t try and do too much, enjoy the city. I hope you have a great time!

Reply to: Quick trip - November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted