We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport

Lichtenburg, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport

Hi we are a couple in our 60's but still healthy and fit and are going to France for the first time. We like medievel towns but we don't want to drive by car as we enjoy the scenery by train and it is more relaxing for older people. My questions are:

1) how to get from Carcassonne to Rocamadour by train

2) is it doable

3) how to get from the train station to the town uphill

4) how many days in Rocamadour

5) can somebody recommend a itinerary for 2 weeks in France by train and/or bus.

We are flying to Nice or Paris (must still decide) end of February (know its out of season but only time we can go) and will like some recommendations for 14 days. We would like to stay at least 2-3 nights in one place and then move on. We like old towns, medievel places and interesting palaces that are reachable by public transport.

Thanks. Emsie Prinsloo

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
18 replies to this topic
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport

Here are the bus timetables to get to Rocamadour.: https://lot.fr/reseau-horaires-tarifs For trains check on www.trainline.eu . Long distance TGV & Intercités trains are cheapest if you book 3 months ahead. Local TER trains have fixed fares.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,407 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport

1. it's a long trip, you go via Toulouse, changing trains there.

2. Do-able but requires patience as trains are few and buses non existent.

3. Walk? It's about 4 km from the station to the bottom of the village. If memory serves there is a bus to Rocamadour from the station on certain days in summer. Otherwise no other public bus goes anywhere near. I don't know if taxis are available.

4. One.

5. Depends entirely on what you wish to see!

Lichtenburg, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport

Thanks cubsur I think we are going to change our itinerary.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,170 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport

FWIW since you are going to miss out, Rocamadour is one of the most thoroughly tourist trappy places in France. It is much like Mont St. Michel -- stunning site and view at a distance but the entire town is souvenir shops and really terrible food. If you have a car and are nearby it is worth a stop for the beauty of the setting, but you are not missing that much by not visiting.

Lichtenburg, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport

Thank you janettravel.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport

Unless they have gone seriously downhill in very recent times, which I doubt, perfectly good eating opportunities exist at several restaurants at the top level above the town where I normally park. Eating places in the town are OK in the same way that places on Mont-Saint-Michel are OK, personally I would avoid them.

Cajarc, France
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport

But few places will be open in February. Very little choice at that time of year.

Lichtenburg, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport

We are thinking about Collar

Can you recommend this town?

Lichtenburg, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport

We are thinking about Collar

Can you recommend this town?

France
Level Contributor
21 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport

I wonder if spellcheck has got the better of you here. I don't know of anywhere called Collar. Sorry!

Reply to: Public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rocamadour