We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

How do I get from Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour on public transport? I will be in Cahors for a night in early April 2013 and will catch a bus to Gourdon at 8:14 am next morning. Arrive there not too long after 9am. I really would like to get to Rocamadour even for an hour or two. Can anyone recommend a way?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

The only option you have is via train, and that involves transfers at Brive (from Gourdon) or at Figeac (from Cahors) -- both trips involve several hours of travel time.

We say this over and over again -- you really, really need a car to see this region of France, as trains don't always go where you want them to go, and buses exist for commuters and school children -- so the schedules are in the morning and afternoon, and don't go to tourist sites, for the most part.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

Thank you. I will just have to flag Rocamadour I think. I am travelling by train and on my own,don't any longer drive as I do not see well. This I suspect is my 'bucket list' trip. Merci.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,782 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

Rocamadour has four buses a week and not from either Cahors or Gourdon.

Although it does have a little railway station (Rocamadour-Padillac) it is on a different line to that serving Cahors and Gourdon. There is indeed no practicable journey.

Another thing. I cannot see any direct bus between Cahors and Gourdon in the departmental bus guide

lot.fr/documents/guide_horaire_transports.pdf

Other than the school bus, there are only two buses a week into Gourdon from the south of the town and these don't connect with any bus from Cahors.

There is a train from Cahors to Gourdon at 0748 and another, on Mondays only, at 0848 then the next one is at 1150.

Please let us know who runs this 0814 bus Cahors - Gourdon. Everything helps keep the picture up to date,

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

Well, I thought I had found one, but I can't see it again. Thank you for your advice. I feel I will also have to miss Gourdon because you are right. There is no practible way. I have found the 8:48 am train from Cahors to Gourdon but it appears to run only on a Monday. So I will have a good look at Cahors and travel up to Souillac in time to catch the school bus to Sarlat.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,782 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

The times of the buses between Souillac and Sarlat are included in the document I posted the link to in my earlier post.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

I've had another thought. Does anyone know how much it woud cost to get a taxi from Gourdon to Rocamadour?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

It is some 35 km from Gourdon to Rocamadour. A taxi would want to be paid for the return journey, so I would think around €70.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

Thank you.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

I can't help thinking there must be companies that run coach trips - Rocamadour always has a fair few coaches in its car parks!

I've copied below a link to a company that runs day trips from Toulouse to Rocamadour also taking in St Cirq Lapopie and Cahors on the same day. It may be worth contacting them to see if they would add a pick up in Cahors (they already have a pick up in Montaubon, which is only about twenty five mins by train from Cahors).

If you're not able to make Rocamadour - which would be a pity - it's well worth getting the bus from Cahors to St Cirq - another beautiful medieval town about half an hr by bus (which aren't frequent but do run more than twice a day). St Cirq is at the top of the hill and you'd need to be reasonably fit to walk up from the bus stop on the opposite side of the river...

Good luck with your plans to reach Rocamadour!

toursud.com/services/en/tours/toulouse-area/… a link

10. Re: Public transport Cahors/Gourdon to Rocamadour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Rocamadour