We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocamadour in December

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Rocamadour in December

Hi. I will be travelling to Rocamadour in December and would like to see the Sanctuary with its steps and chapels. Does anyone know if it is open in December and if it is easy to get a taxi in Rocamadour (was thinking of getting one from my hotel to the sanctuary). Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocamadour in December

Where is your hotel?

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocamadour in December

Its at the corner of La Barthe Flouquet and Les Esclargies and I think the sancuary is along the Rue de la Mercerie.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocamadour in December

You do realize that Rocamadour is pedestrian-only, right?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocamadour in December

The sanctuary is open every day of the year, as best I can figure from the website from 8:30 to 21:45, but yes, you can't get a taxi in to the sanctuary, as there are no cars in Rocamadour. You'll have to walk or take the funicular and then walk some more. A taxi will be useless. There aren't any.

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocamadour in December

Oh. No, I didn't realise that it was pedestrian only - thank you for that. Might have to re-think where we will stay or be prepared for the walk. Thanks for the advice:)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocamadour in December

and it's not a gentle little slope -- the streets are steep, narrow and could be treacherously slippery if the weather is cold.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 11:16
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rocamadour in December

Yup. It's really steep (and slippery when it's wet) down that path. Good thing is, you won't have the hordes of touristes/pilgrims to deal with at that time of year. Be careful, it really is steep, and in winter (when I've never been) could be cautionary.

St. Cere
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rocamadour in December

We live close to Rocamadour and I can tell you that if the weather is clear, a visit in December can be wonderful. Your hotel is only 10 minutes walk from the sanctuary and then you can take the lift down to the sanctuary and the village - it is done in two stages. Be aware that this part of France can be very cold in the winter. Pack some warm clothes just in case!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,187 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rocamadour in December

We've visited in December, actually over Christmas, and the weather was superb. There were still tour buses arriving, so it was quite busy though not heaving. The lift is a god-send!

Reply to: Rocamadour in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rocamadour