We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocamador to Avignon by car

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
450 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Rocamador to Avignon by car

We want to drive from Rocamador to Avignon by car, taking our time, but...one of us is afraid of heights. What route would be the least scary (e.g.; we know to avoid the Millau bridge!).

5 replies to this topic
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocamador to Avignon by car

Have you looked at via michelin. This gives three routes, one of which crosses the Millau viaduct. You could turn off at Rodez and go through Mende. It would , of course, be a lot slower.

The Millau viaduct is quite impressive with a visitor centre where you can walk up to view it. It really is worth seeing.You could stop at the centre and then take the slow route down through the town of Millau without actually driving across the bridge itself. One of us has a slight problem with heights and did not find driving across it an issue.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocamador to Avignon by car

Hi, We drove from Gramat, a little to the south of Rocamadour to Millau via Rodez and I can't recall any challenging terrain. I am also not good with heights and crossed the viaduc without any problems. Just don't drive on the outside lane perhaps.

I do wonder how Mrs humanone will deal with Rocamadour, a town that is attached to the side of a cliff...

It is a really lovely area. We spent a few hours wandering Figeac wile we did our laundry and really enjoyed the feel of the place.

Cheers,

UF

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocamador to Avignon by car

There are no vertiginous roads there, some are dangerous because they're narrow with blind spots (around Conques for example) but that's it.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
450 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocamador to Avignon by car

Please let me rephrase my question: I am only afraid of vertiginous roads without guard rails (such as driving up from the Lot river to Grotte Peche Merle.) Being up high such as in Rocamadour or St. Cirq la Popie is no problem, only the driving. So...What is the route that will take me from Rocamadour to Avignon without a heart attack? I'd even appreciate the route numbers and/or the major intersection towns. I have looked at Google maps and Michelin maps but cannot tell which route would be least vertiginous. Thanks.

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocamador to Avignon by car

There are no guard rails on most back roads in France, it's like a "thing". Go to Italy and it's the complete opposite.

Reply to: Rocamador to Avignon by car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rocamadour