We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocamadour descent

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
498 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Rocamadour descent

If I park at L'Hospitalet and want to go down to the main restaurant street, Place De La Carretta, and am oldish and unable to walk very far, how can I descend? Many details would be appreciated. Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocamadour descent

I've not been to Rocamadour, but on one of the Dordogne websites I read there is a lift/funicular. It really didn't give a lot of information so I don't know exactly where it's located or how far up it goes. There's also likely to on one of the white Petit Trains.

Edited: 16 May 2016, 10:27
Mentioned in this post
Rocamadour
Rocamadour
Lot, France
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,320 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocamadour descent

Rocamadour is basically on 3 levels. There is L'Hospitalet at the top, the church and shrines in the middle, and the street with shops and restaurants at the bottom. The three levels are linked by an elevator (or maybe 2 separate elevators, I can't exactly recall).

When we visited some years ago, there was parking even further down the hill, linked to the shipping street by a "little train".

Mentioned in this post
Rocamadour
Rocamadour
Lot, France
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
498 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocamadour descent

Thanks- my concern then is walking from the carpark to the train or elevator. The map makes it look like a long distance (up/down hill depending on going or coming). I hope someone has bent there lately and can give more details. (its no fun getting oldish, especially when you feel as if you are only 11). thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocamadour descent

Do you have any mobility devices you could use? I use this: https://www.travelscoot.com/

It folds up and fits in the trunk oa car and only weighs 37lbs.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocamadour descent

To my mind the best restaurants are at the top level where the parking is. The ones in the main street are a bit touristy.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocamadour descent

You could consider Au Panorama or L'Esplanade at L'Hospitalet level

Mentioned in this post
Au Panorama
Au Panorama
711 Reviews
Rocamadour, France
L'Esplanade
L'Esplanade
236 Reviews
Rocamadour, France
7. Re: Rocamadour descent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2017, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Rocamadour