We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car-free in Normandy?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Car-free in Normandy?

We are planning a short trip to Normandy, from London, in May. We plan to travel by train, and we would prefer not to drive at all. Based on what I've read, Bayeux sounds like the best place to stay for restaurants and tours. From Bayeux, can we book a tour to the beaches that focuses on the Canadian historical perspective? If not, where would be the best place for this tour? And if we are not using a car, is it possible to travel to Mont-St-Michel and back to Bayeux in a day (by bus or train)? Can we travel to Giverny and back in a day by train?

Bayeux Shuttle Multimedia Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
OverlordTour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Normandy44 Tours
Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Normandy Sightseeing Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Essex
Level Contributor
29,116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car-free in Normandy?

Yes, Bayeux is a good base for most of what you want to do.

Most of the D-Day tour companies set off from there. I have never personally used any tours, but I think I have seen threads about Canadian tours before, so have a little browse on the forum, if you don't get specific answers for that one.

You can go to MSM on the shuttle bus that is run by the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux. I also have not used this, I just know that it exists. Hopefully someone who has used it, can come and tell you more.

There has been a thread only today discussing getting to Giverny as a day trip from Bayeux using public transport. It transpires that it is not 'realisticallly' possible, I'm afraid.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car-free in Normandy?

PS, how are you planning to get there from London?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car-free in Normandy?

Thanks for the info. We are planning to take the Eurostar to Paris, and then change trains (and stations) for Bayeux.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car-free in Normandy?

I found the following link through Google:

viator.com/tours/…d909-3193NSTA

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car-free in Normandy?

If you're going to get around by public transport in that region you might like to know the weblinks for the trains and buses. For train info use the website www.voyages-sncf.com. For bus info near Bayeux use the website http://www.busverts.fr/.

As mentioned, Giverny takes too long to get to by pubic transport and so does Mont Saint-Michel. I too have heard The Hotel Churchill has a shuttle to MSM but I don't know if it's only for guests. I though about Honfleur as an option but that's too long a journey by public transport as well (about 3 hours each way). You could visit the war museum and memorial in Caen. You might find some useful info for trip research on the Bayeux tourist office website.

http://www.bessin-normandie.com/

If you click on the "visits" tab on the website you'll find all kinds of info about what to see and do in that area. There's loads of info about D-Day sites and museums, list of the tour guides, info about châteaux and abbeys in the area that you can visit, nature activities etc., etc.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car-free in Normandy?

Are you planning to stay in Paris at all??

If so, then Giverny is a do-able day trip by train from Paris (The nearest station to Giverny is called Vernon).

Re "Churchill's MSM Shuttle" info on their website here:

hotel-churchill.fr/mont-saint-michel-shuttle…

it is only an 8 seater minibus so you need to book ahead I guess. SUSPECT, but don't know, that priority is given to Hotel Guests, but the website does not say that it is 'exclusive' to them.

7. Re: Car-free in Normandy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 18:23