We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caen airport taxi or bus

Lakeport, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Caen airport taxi or bus

I have a car rental I must return at Caen Airport. I am looking for fastest/easiest option to get to Caen train station after I drop the car. I read there is a “taxi rank” located outside arrivals.

-Will there be taxis waiting or an attendant there during mid day(13:30 or so)typically?

-Is the car rental return close to this “taxi rank”

-Am I better off taking the Twisto bus?

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
9 replies to this topic
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

I think taxis will only be there if a plane is scheduled to arrive, which isn't every 40 seconds like at Charkes de Gaulle. There is a Twisto bus every 15 minutes. liane 3.

Or you can call a taxi. Around 25€ for the station.

Couldn't you rent with a company that has an office by the station. hertz, Avis, Enterprise.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

Are you sure that you must return the vehicle to the airport? When I visited a few years back, I picked up at the airport but dropped off by the train station in town, with no penalty or surcharge. I think the rental was with EuropeCar.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 02:08
Lakeport, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

I’ve spoken to the rental company. It’s booked through RyanAir at Enterprise.

After speaking to them they said My only option is to cancel and rebook which I would do but they don’t have any automatic vehicles left which is what our party requires..

Lakeport, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

Do you happen to know if the twisto bus is reliable. I have a d-day tour ending in Bayeux at 12:45 and a train to catch at Gare de Caen at 14:07. Sure wish I’d have booked for the train station return but it is what it is at this point. I don’t mind paying for the taxi if it gets me there on time-i just haven’t been to France before so am nervous.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
France
France
Europe
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

In terms of your opening post, the Caen airport is very small. The rental car lot is right outside the terminal, a few steps from the rental car desks inside the terminal. I would assume that the taxi rank is right outside baggage claim; the distance from the rental car desks to baggage claim is minimal. Since I've only been to the Caen airport once and was renting a car, I cannot speak to whether there were taxis lined up at the curb, but I suspect there were.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

You should book a taxi. You wont have much time to spare.

Lakeport, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

Thank you all very much. I am going to try to arrange a taxi early. I really appreciate your taking the time to advise.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,549 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

Your tour finishes in Bayeux at 12.45 & you have to catch a train in Caen at 14.07 and you have to drop a rental car at the airport in between? I find it difficult to imagine you will make this. Already the drive from Bayeux to the airport takes about 30 minutes, followed by formalities to drop the car, then get into Caen, another 20-30 minutes even by taxi. If you are going on a tour can you not drop your car the night before then take a train from Bayeux rather than Caen?

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Glenview, Illinois
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caen airport taxi or bus

bonjour. We are a party of 5 seniors arriving at CDG on late morning on Sept 8. Our plan is to take a direct train to either Caen or Bayeux and return to Paris on Sept 10. I am hearing however that the fast, direct sched is to be eliminated as of Sept 1. Can someone confirm this for me? Thank you very much in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Paris
Paris