We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

Ohio
7 posts
Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

Can anyone suggest a few good DDay beach tours the pick up and drop off at the Caen train station. We have a tight schedule and cannot spend the night in Bayeux as many tours start there before the trains arrive from Paris.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

I think any of the private guides who operate out of Bayeux might meet you at the Caen station or better yet, you could travel a bit further to Bayeux and they could meet you there. You might also travel to Bayeux and take a helf day group tour from there. Unfortunately the first train from Paris does not arrive in Bayeux in time for a group minivan tour, but if there are three or more travelers in your party, the private tour gets more cost effective.

There are some tour company links on this post, but also go to the Bayeux forum and check the "Top Questions" and "Things to Do" links along the margins of that page:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k5174…

I haven't checked those same links on the Caen forum, but you might see if you can find something there.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

Here are some more links that may be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187182-d2…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187182-d1…

There are other services that show up on a Goggle search, but if you can find a guide that has recommendations on TA, I'd go with one of them. Some services are actually resellers who book the same tours that you can book on own, and they will charge you an additional agency fee. I'm always careful of "we can do anything" sites.

Port-en-Bessin-Huppa...
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

Try www.normandy-sightseeing-tours.com. They are very good and hepful and will pick up from anywhere not too far from the beaches or their base in Bayeux.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

You can get a full day tour in by going to Carentan to be picked up. The 07:10 train arrives at 9:30. that puts you ahead of a tour starting at Bayeux at 09:00.

Caen is a bad place to start a tour if you want the American sector. it's difficult to get in and out of and it's at least 45 minutes from the nearest American beach.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

cpmac, On several threads about a one day day trip to see the D Day sites, I've seen you suggest Carentan over a Bayeux as a starting point. Are there tour companies that operate Carentan specifically, or would the guides from Bayeux be the ones to contact?

Edited: 18 May 2012, 20:08
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

The same companies. Don't know if companies that offer public tours pick up at Carentan. You'd have to contact the company to ask.

7. Re: Full Day DDay tours from Caen Train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:15