We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
So. Cal.
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
D day beaches from Cherbourg

We will be in Cherbourg on a cruise ship in May. We really want to see the D day beaches, I promised my dad, who was among the first to land there, that we would visit the memorial to his unit. I would prefer to take an excursion through the ship but so far that is not an option. Are there any reputable tour agencies that operate out of Cherbourg, if so, who are they (it would just be the two of us)? Would it be better to rent a car?

I hope to get something through the ship but I need to find out what my options are in case that tour isn't available.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,539 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D day beaches from Cherbourg

Where, exactly, is the memorial to his Unit??

I can't help or recommend any tour options, I'm afraid, but if you do actually give the locations that you want to visit, then it would make life a lot easier for those who are able to help you!

I hope you do find something, it sounds like a great idea for a trip, all round!

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D day beaches from Cherbourg

I would be extremely surprised if the ship didn't arrange a tour. But it might well not go to where your dad's memorial is. which unit was he in. ships tours from cherbourg normally do Omaha, Cemetery and Ste Mere eglise. If you're dad's memorial isn't in that area you need a driver guide. There's alist in the top questions on the "Normandy" forum. You'd waste a lot of time trying to find it with a rental car and might not even find it.

So. Cal.
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D day beaches from Cherbourg

I found the memorial on line, it is the 6th engineers special brigade, it is near Omaha Beach (where he landed) and apparently not too far from the cemetery, so I figured that most of the tours would go near enough to the site that I would be able to visit or at least see it.

4. Re: D day beaches from Cherbourg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2013, 17:19