We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

West Sussex
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

I need some advice please on a route from Marseille Airport to St Saturnin les Apt. Our flight lands at 10.55 am & we then have to pick up our hire car. We would like a leisurely drive to St Saturnin, taking in a bit of scenery en-route, and also a light lunch (nothing massive as we are eating in the evening of our arrival). We want to avoid toll-roads or motorways where possible. We aim to pick up some groceries just outside Apt and arrive at our gite at around 4pm.

Any ideas would be much appreciated 😊

Mentioned in this post
Marseille Airport
Marseille Airport
Marignane, France
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
L'Envol
$$$$, French, Mediterranean
Le Carillon
$$ - $$$, French, Mediterranean, European
22 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

Use viamichelin to plan your route.

It's close to a 2 hour drive.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

Yes of course we can plan a route using Via Michelin or Google, however there are various options, and I am looking for some tips on somewhere nice to stop en-route, for a stroll around, a first look at some scenic views and a bite to eat. The route planning tools don’t give us that sort of detail, unfortunately!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
497 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

Hi

Use the route that goes up thru Aix and into the luberon from the south. So you would hit Lourmarin first and then Bonnieux.

You can visit and eat lunch in Lourmarin, Bonnieux or tiny Lacoste which is next to Bonnieux.

Lourmarin has the most restaurant options. I don’t remember where we ate but we enjoyed it.

In Bonnieux we had fantastic dinners at L’Arome and Le Fournil. Both are open for lunch. Phenomenal places.

For a lighter more casual lunch, we really enjoyed Brasserie les Terasses on top of the hill in Bonnieux with phenomenal views.

The other option is to drive up northwest and go through gordes first. Gordes is a bigger village with many options.

Mentioned in this post
Lourmarin
Lourmarin
Luberon, France
Bonnieux
Bonnieux
Luberon, France
L'Arome
L'Arome
752 Reviews
Bonnieux, France
Le Fournil
Le Fournil
485 Reviews
Bonnieux, France
Gordes
Gordes
Luberon, France
4. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2018, 22:35

West Sussex
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

Ok Dat, I appreciate that, however what I am hoping for is some real “human” input from people who have actually done the journey and could provide personal recommendations. I do extensive research prior to asking questions on here but nothing beats ‘inside’ knowledge.

If you don’t want to be helpful (however stupid you believe the question to be) why do you bother replying at all?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

I never find it useful to scold people on here. I thought the reason for trip advisor was to ask those 'in the know' for personal recommendations and, while online maps might show eateries, they can't tell you about service, views, food etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

Good grief.

#5 and #6......

Do either of you have any what Michelin does?

They have a large professional staff who travels and reviews restaurants / hotels / attractions and then post that information to michelin.com and into their Green Guides.

As for this:

They have more "inside knowledge" than anyone here..

They are constantly traveling, professional reviewers.

"ask those 'in the know' for personal recommendations and, while online maps might show eateries, they can't tell you about service, views, food etc."

That is exactly what Michelin does.

All of that.

Period.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,256 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

Stop here:

https://chateau-la-coste.com/

West Sussex
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

That looks fabulous! Thanks for the tip tplus. 🙏🏻

Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,256 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport

I planned two hours and spent the best part of the day there...

Reply to: Places to stop (& have lunch) en-route from Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;