We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chamonix this weekend

5 posts
Save Topic
Chamonix this weekend

In France for the over the weekend and looking to come to Chamonix this weekend (June 8th, 2018). I am aware of the Aiguille du Midi shutdown earlier this week and that most lifts open next weekend. I was hoping to hike from Mid-point of Aiguille du Midi to Montenvers (Grand balcon Nord, I believe). I have read reports in April that this winter was harsh.

I have checked https://www.chamoniarde.com/ , but don't know enough about the area to know all of the areas talked about and don't see that specific route mentioned. I am intermidiate hiker with hiking boots/backpack, but no other gear. would be open to renting more winter-ish gear if appropriate.

Any ideas or feedback on what would be available this weekend?

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
5,964 Reviews
Chamonix, France
4 replies to this topic
reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chamonix this weekend

The walk you suggest is fantastic and it is accessible from the Montenvers railway station.

Hwever, you , obviously , cannot take the AdM down to Chamonix so it is a case of walking down from the mis-station (Plan de Aguille) or retracing your walk back to Montenvers.

Either way you are looking at a 5 - 6 hour hike.

If you run into snow, not saying the odd small patch, that bars your route then turn back.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chamonix this weekend

Thanks for the response!

I am here now and am considering the balcon nord or hiking for up from town to floria/flagere

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chamonix this weekend

That is a good hike you could also do the Petite Balcon Sud to Argentiere not hard but pretty

Mentioned in this post
Argentiere
Argentiere
Chamonix, France
Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chamonix this weekend

Hi Brad, just to let you know that the cable car to the mid-station of Aiguille du Midi is open today and closing tomorrow - see the pop-up when you visit the website of the lift company - https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/.

Hope that helps!

www.chamonixallyear.com

Mentioned in this post
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
5,964 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Reply to: Chamonix this weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted