We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to montenvers refuge from Lac Blanc?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
770 posts
6 reviews
how to get to montenvers refuge from Lac Blanc?

we are booked at the refuge at montenvers for july 13. I plan to go to Lac Blanc in the morning then go to the montenvers refuge for the overnight stay.

what is the easiest way to go from lac blanc to the refuge without going back down to the valley?

if there is no cable that we can use, how far and how hard it the hike?

thank you!

4 replies to this topic
reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: how to get to montenvers refuge from Lac Blanc?

You have to go down and cross the valley.

Which trail you take is your choice, you should (you may already have one) the hiking map.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: how to get to montenvers refuge from Lac Blanc?

If you are asking that sort of question on TA, it rather sounds to me as if you are going to end up as one of this year's many fatality statistics. These are serious mountains and if you are venturing out on them you need to be fit, experienced and properly equipped, a large scale map is one of many essential items.

Even the hike to Lac Blanc isn't without its risks, the clue is in the name. I have hiked there later in July than you are intending to, and in very benign weather, and I still found myself wishing that I had brought crampons and an ice axe, even though I knew how to walk (reasonably) safely on icy packed snow without them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
770 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: how to get to montenvers refuge from Lac Blanc?

Thank you both.

I guess, i’m going down the valley first.

Lac blanc would have risks by jul 12?

Would it be easier/safe if i take the chair lift then come down to lac blanc?

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: how to get to montenvers refuge from Lac Blanc?

It is called Lac BLANC because it can be surrounded by WHITE snow year round. Walking across an icy snow field, often with melt water on top during the day, always incurs risks especially if it slopes towards a drop (as this one does). Knowing the right technique (or wearing crampons) reduces that risk but doesn't eliminate it.

There is no lift to/from Lac Blanc. It is a tranquil spot that you have to walk to/from - although you can use a cable car to reduce the amount of climbing involved, as you would see if you had that map.

Reply to: how to get to montenvers refuge from Lac Blanc?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chamonix