We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Gare Part Dieu

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Gare Part Dieu

This railway station was disgusting when we visited on 2-3 June. People use the car park lifts as toilets and all along the front of the station facing the street it smells like one big urinal. What an introduction to a city!

For the stench to get this bad it must be a very long time since any cleaning was done. We couldn't believe that the city or rail authorities would allow the problem to get so bad.

18 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beware Gare Part Dieu

I understand that, does it need to be an obsession? With a taxi you are picked up at your hotel and delivered to the airport or wherever you want to go. Who would walk with luggage to a train station or bus stop then do the same at their destination to save a few Euros? There are countless posts about travelers getting "ripped off" by slimy taxi companies. Rent from a large reputable company. They are more conveniently located, have nicer cars, longer hours and aren't much more expensive. Feel a need to save at every turn? Fine, if/when you are ripped off or disappointed with the service don't whine about it on Trip Advisor.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beware Gare Part Dieu

William, we do fly drives in Europe too but not when we are traveling between major cities with no time and/or inclination to meander through the parts in between. And, in terms of saving a few Euros, we can well afford to take a cab to or from an airport when justified by time constraints or its inordinately difficult to manage luggage but when those factors are not an issue, we'll use rail transportation when it's available at the airport -- whether the Orange or Blue Line El train in our current home town of Chicago, the Metro in DC, BART in SF, the Gautrain in Johannesburg, or the train from Narita to Tokyo. And, that's not just to save a few Euros (dollars, yen, or Rand) but because, during rush hour in major cities, rail is typically faster than car travel from the airport to downtown.

Edited: 21 July 2017, 21:54
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beware Gare Part Dieu

Of course every options are possible depending on our own preferences. But the fact remains that beside the cost factor that can make a difference. Just for the convenience of not having to drive and find a parking spot in a foreign country and a big city that you don't really know. Those could be major factors to consider when making choices, And they need to be told to people who never came so at least, they will know.

I love to drive in France everywhere except in big cities so what I usualy do is to combine arrival and/or departure from big cities I will be able to enjoy on foot. Or do the first or last stretch of my trip by train to include a big city.

I find that public transportation in France is generaly so convenient, accessible, reliable, cheap and fast that I don't see why not suggest it to visitors. No matter the way you will choose, there will always be a chance that something might happen. So we just need to choose the one that will be the best for us.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,941 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beware Gare Part Dieu

Generally, having a car in a city center is a nuisance. You will find little use of it. In the case of Lyon, public transport costs less than having a car for sure.

That said, I have parked my car at a city center before for 2-3 days during the middle of a rental car stint. Weekly rates are so low that it might not cost much more than breaking the rental into two stints. However, parking does cost money. If I have a rental car, I tend to stay at a hotel just outside the center offering free or low parking rates. I might then drive the car into the city center for the day as it doesn't cost as dear to park for a few hours.

There is no benefit in debating spending habits. Each of us spends our money differently as we have our own cost-benefit preference. I respect both the budget and the big spenders--as all of us should if we intend to give advice to others who don't share your habits.

Edited: 22 July 2017, 11:53
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,571 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beware Gare Part Dieu

One of the great things about European cities is that they have outstanding public transport. I can endure a little piss not to have to fuss with and pay for parking a car. We are thrilled to live in Chicago after decades in Nashville since the former has excellent transport -- we use the car only to fetch our grandchild from school and take her home once a week -- the rest of the time we blissfully use bus and El. Such a pleasure after the almost zero public transport of Nashville.

Of course you need a car for Tuscany or Burgundy but you sure don't need it for Lyon or Paris or Nice. And renting cars in Europe has its own downside;it is very easy to be abused with hidden fees or unwarranted charges for damage not done especially if you have to drop a car during off hours (which are say 'lunchtime' in Caen or weekends many places.

Greater Melbourne...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Beware Gare Part Dieu

I can't disagree more. I have never found it super dirty or as you describe it. Maybe you are going in and out of small or dodgy entrances?

A station is rarely salubrious but after being in and out of Lyon a lot and using trains as our primary way of getting around in the past ten years, the station is fine. Well-policed, clean toilets, heated waiting room, Paul patisserie for coffees, baguettes and cakes, newsagents and so on. The tram and metro network in Lyon is also excellent.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,941 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Beware Gare Part Dieu

Actually, when I walked right outside of Part Dieu in May, there was a distinct scent of urine. Train stations often have homeless people staying at night so it's nothing unusual. I have seen much worse than Part Dieu elsewhere.

>>>I can't disagree more. I have never found it super dirty or as you describe it. Maybe you are going in and out of small or dodgy entrances?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,153 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Beware Gare Part Dieu

We were in Lyon almost three years ago , we dont recall fiding the trian station dirty nor do I recall the smell of urine .

William , I save money on vacation by using public transport and even 50 euros means something to us as we always go for 4-5 weeks at a time , 50 euros can be a days food budget or a hotel room for a night .

Reply to: Beware Gare Part Dieu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lyon