We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip by train from Lyon to Dijon?

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip by train from Lyon to Dijon?

I posted this on a different forum and am hoping to get some responses here.

We will be in Lyon for a week in September, and are thinking of spending a day in Dijon. We would go by train.

1. How far is the center of town and key attractions from the train station in Dijon? Walkable?

2. What are the key sites you suggest we see there?

3. Train schedules would give us 4-1/2 to 6 hours in Dijon. Is this enough time to see most things?

4. Any recommendations for lunch?

5. Is there any other place you would recommend for a day trip from Lyon? We have been to Avignon a few times.

Thanks for any info!

3 replies to this topic
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,803 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip by train from Lyon to Dijon?

1. How far is the center of town and key attractions from the train station in Dijon? Walkable?

See Google maps

2. What are the key sites you suggest we see there?

See www.viamichelin.com and look at the tourism section

3. Train schedules would give us 4-1/2 to 6 hours in Dijon. Is this enough time to see most things?

That depends on you

4. Any recommendations for lunch?

See www.viamichelin.com & look at the restaurants section

5. Is there any other place you would recommend for a day trip from Lyon? We have been to Avignon a few times.

Annecy, Geneva, Cluny (if you can get transport), Grenoble etc.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
398 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip by train from Lyon to Dijon?

I have done a one-day trip from Lyon to Dijon by train. There is a walk into the center of town, but it is not a long walk, and much of what you'll be doing in Lyon will be walking anyway. I do not see that as a problem. I enjoyed my visit very much.

Check out the website of the Dijon Tourist Office for ideas of things to do and places to see:

http://www.destinationdijon.com/en/

Dijon is famous for mustard, of course, and one of the most famous/best companies is Maille, which has a store right in town - you won't miss it. If you're looking for gifts (or for yourself) this might make a good stop. By the way, Maille mustard can be found in the U.S. but that mustard, although the same country, seems to be made in Canada, and in my opinion doesn't compare with what you get in Dijon. (they have a store in Paris also.)

Day trips to Annecy (pretty city with a lake and canals,) Perouges (medieval city used in some films, small but nice,) Grenoble (take the tramway,) Vienne (for Roman ruins,) are all possible in a day from Lyon. Check them out to see which might interest you. You can also do wine tours or drive around to some of the wine chateaux, if that is of interest to you.

Edited: 30 August 2017, 08:12
Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip by train from Lyon to Dijon?

Our thanks to both of you for your counsel and ideas. Right now, we are looking into Dijon, Vienne and Perouge,

with a slight lean to Vienne.

Reply to: Day trip by train from Lyon to Dijon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lyon