We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

Singapore
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

I'll be visiting Lyon from 15-17 June. Will be staying at the Hotel des Savoie on the Lyon Perrache. I will be driving in from Blois - probably take the better part of the day - and parking at the hotel. It's paid parking for the whole day.

Should I walk or drive? I would like to visit Vieux Lyon & Museum of Cinema & Miniatures which seems near enough from my hotel to walk but I'm not too sure...

How about other parts? I'm not to clear what else I should do in the short 1.5 days I have here in Lyon... I'll be driving to Geneva on 17 June...

Thank you for any advice and where to prioritize in my sightseeing...

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Savoie
Savoie
Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
Blois
Blois
Loire Valley, France
Vieux Lyon
Vieux Lyon
5,116 Reviews
Lyon, France
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
7 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,689 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

No point driving. It's a pleasant 30-minute walk. Alternatively, use public transport which is very easy.

The only area where you might find a car useful is if you go up to Fourviere for the Cathedral and Roman sites. You can also just use the funicular train to go up though. An ideal day, for example, could see you taking public transport up to Fourviere first and then walk down to Old Lyon. You can then choose to walk back at your leisure or use public transport.

Mentioned in this post
Fourviere Hotel
Fourviere Hotel
588 Reviews
Lyon, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Singapore
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

Would a travel card be better or to buy single tickets or even a carnet?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

Don’t drive, you’d have parking issues for sure! I don’t know if you’re aware that the old city is a pedestrian area.

Lyon is a very walkable city, plus there is a good public transportation system, including funiculars to get up the hills.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Singapore
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

Thank you only_lyon...

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
943 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

I totally agree. Lyon is for walking... I will always remember one very special day out of our three days in Lyon... We walked from Place Bellecour via the Presqu’île, which is the heart of Lyon, all the way up to the Croix Rousse hill (you may want to explore the vibrant market there), then down to amazing Mur des Canuts, then across the river and all the way up to the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière and the Roman Amphitheater, and finally walked down from the Fourvière Hill to the Cathédrale Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Lyon and charming Vieux Lyon for a nice well-deserved “bouchon” dinner.

Enjoy Lyon and do not miss relaxing in the Parc de la Tête d'Or - it is gorgeous.

Bon Voyage,

Nora

Edited: 12 May 2018, 12:06
Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Place Bellecour
Place Bellecour
1,703 Reviews
Lyon, France
Croix-Rousse
Croix-Rousse
912 Reviews
Lyon, France
Vieux Lyon
Vieux Lyon
5,116 Reviews
Lyon, France
Restaurant Bon Voyage
Restaurant Bon Voyage
65 Reviews
Lyon, France
Singapore
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

Thank Noraatc for that quick walking route... much appreciated.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
943 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?

My pleasure! The route was really “quick” - it took all day😊. But it was a fabulous day indeed.

Enjoy Lyon!

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Reply to: Vieux Lyon - Walk or drive?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;