We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week Lyon area itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Two week Lyon area itinerary

Hello. I wonder if I could ask for suggestions for an early fall itinerary (approximately two weeks) including say a 4 or 5 day stay in Lyon itself. I know Lyon is a great base for Day trips but we like to situate ourselves in a place rather than Day tripping everyday. Don’t mind driving 2, 3 or even 4 hours on the changeover day if necessary. One other place we thought might be nice to stay in for a few days is Annecy. So we might be looking for one or two more suggestions. Have been to Provence and Riveria, so no need to repeat those. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
13 replies to this topic
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
978 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

4-5 days in Lyon would be worthwhile, with no need to do any daytrips from there. There's plenty to do and see in Lyon. A few days in Annecy would also be a good idea. There are plenty of other places in the area to visit. One that could be a day trip, or an overnighter (that's what we did) is Yvoire on Lake Geneva.

One comment: I don't know what your car logistics are, but you don't need, or want to have, a car in Lyon if you can avoid it. Driving is pretty bad, parking is probably pricey, and you'd be paying for 4-5 rental days where the car just sits in a garage.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva
6,502 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

Thanks for the info Bob. We were thinking of renting a car , but don’t have to. Is Beaune a place that would be worth spending some time in? Before or after Annecy and Lyon.

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
978 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

A lot people like Beaune, and I expect it would be worth spending some time in. I don't remember much about it, though. It was over 20 years ago, and all I remember about our short visit was the dreadful wine we drank at one big producer's cellars. But we've made several visits to Lyon and Annecy and loved both, w/o a car in every case. But if you want to see, for example, Yvoire from Annecy, you'd need a car.

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

Thank-you. Is there a third place, if not Beaune, that is in the path of Lyon>Annecy, that you have visited that you think might be worth hanging out in for a few days. We don’t mind doing some daytripping (we just didn’t always want to be doing it) .

Mentioned in this post
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
978 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

I just took a look at the Lyon to Annecy route on Google Maps, and the more southerly of the 2 suggested routes takes you through the area we just stayed in last week, and also right near the area we stayed in last spring. Rather than try to make suggestions, I'm attaching the link to my travel blog, and you can see if anything interests you. Feel free to contact me directly if you want more info.

http://mainelywinenews.blogspot.com/

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

Appart from the wine regions like Beaujolais, there are 3 main areas you should visit from Lyon. The Jura mountains, the Alps, and the Ardèche. If you have two weeks, and 4 days in Lyon, that 10 left. Ardèche can be done in around 4 days, visiting the gorges (don't miss the scenic road of course, and it's a hot spot for kayaking) and the villages. For the 6 days left I'd go for the Alps. Early fall (early October I'm assuming) is still fine for hiking. If you go for Annecy, you have the Aravis mountains nearby, and the Bauges. Both offer great hiking if you're fit. There's also the natural amphitheater at Sixt Fer à Cheval which is worth it even if you don't hike.

However, if you want something more spectacular and authentic in the Alps, I suggest going further South, near Briançon. Briançon in itself is very nice with all the forts to visit and the old city. Then there's the Clarée valley which is amazing, the Vallouise with the must do hike to Glacier Blanc (you'll have the autumn colors), and the Queyras mountains as well. On the way, you can visit La Grave and see the Meije glaciers. It's a bit further from Lyon, so up to you to decide if it's worth it. If you don't hike at all, maybe not.

As a day trip from Lyon, you could visit Oingt, an amazing old village with buildings made entirely out of golden stones, typical of the beaujolais. There's no public transport though.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Jura
Jura
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

Wow. Nicholas B, thanks so much. Will chart a course then may tap this forums’ collective brains for accomodation recommendations in the specific spots we choose.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

Consider taking a day trip to Cluny or Tournus or maybe both for different reasons but generally in the same direction from Lyon. Located to the east Clermont-Ferrand is a city worth seeing for its connection to a famous French award winning movie dealing with WWII. I agree with the response #3 that offered Beaune as being a worthwhile venture from Lyon to the north. Vichy needs no introduction to those of you who know recent French history. Vienne, Macon, St. Etienne or Bourg might have something worth visiting. Certain parts of French history can be visited in this region. Train transportation is available in most directions. Response #1 has good advice and helpful information about using a car in Lyon. Newly designed train station for the new train system is there. For the short time period of your visit I would stay in Lyon or close by for benefits of proximity. Lyon is much larger than Dijon so be concerned about staying in a large city. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Clermont-Ferrand
Clermont-Ferrand
Puy-de-Dome, France
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Vichy
Vichy
Allier, France
Vienne
Vienne
Isere, France
Macon
Macon
Saone-et-Loire, France
Saint-Etienne
Saint-Etienne
Loire, France
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
7,670 posts
943 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

Hi kportgirl,

I would seriously advise you to disregard meaningless post #8 coming from the well-known nuisance on TA. Who in Earth cares about a French award winning movie dealing with WWII, when he does not even bother to announce the name of this movie??? Guido's post are getting more ridiculous every day.

I echo Bob's advice to spend 4-5 days is Lyon. We had 3 full days and I was desperately missing at least one more day for the art museum, which was closed on a Monday.

Lyon is magnificent! Walk in the gorgeous Parc de la Tete D'Or, enjoy the murals (you will see how wonderful they are), get lost in the maze of medieval Traboules, take a river cruise to the Ile Barbe, walk (or take a funicular) to the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière, relax on the benches of ancient Lyon Amphitheater, taste famous "bouchon" and mouthwatering pastries... The list is so long....

And another great recommendation from Bob is to visit Lake Geneva (Lac Leman) and lovely Yvoire, which will not take long, but you will love this charming town. Lac Leman is one of my personal favorite lakes in Europe - we were so lucky to spend 3 days there, at Evian and Geneva.

Nicholas, I saved your fabulous post... I hope we will revisit the Alps and maybe drive to the Jura mountains and the Ardèche. Hoping for an easy hike too (not more difficult that in Acadia National Park - I vaguely remember you posted on the Acadia forum, where I am a regular) Something so new for us. Thank you!

Good luck with your trip, kportgirl!

Nora

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Parc de la Tete d'Or
Parc de la Tete d'Or
9,367 Reviews
Lyon, France
Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva
6,502 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Lac Leman
Lac Leman
743 Reviews
Evian-les-Bains, France
Europe
Europe
World
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Jura
Jura
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
978 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two week Lyon area itinerary

" Who in Earth cares about a French award winning movie dealing with WWII, when he does not even bother to announce the name of this movie???"

And not to say that he places Clermont-Ferrand in the wrong direction.

Mentioned in this post
Clermont-Ferrand
Clermont-Ferrand
Puy-de-Dome, France
Reply to: Two week Lyon area itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted