We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from Fresque des Lyonnais to Mur des Canuts

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Best Route from Fresque des Lyonnais to Mur des Canuts

Hello.

I'll be visiting Lyon in july and devoting one day to part of Vieux Lyon and Croix Rousse.

I'm planning to walk the whole morning from place Bellecour to the Passarelle Saint-Vincent including in my way Rue de la Republique, the Bourse, the Fine Arts Museum (not visiting), the opera and as many streets as I can until the Soane river and the Library of the City and Lyonnais Frescoes near the passarelle.

Now, from that point I intend to walk up the hill until the Mur des Canuts.

1) Should I end Croix Rousse at the canuts or go beyond that and if so, which would be that point?

2) Which is the best street(s) to go to the canuts, using the picture-value and scenery as criterion to say it is the best?

Thanks in advance.

2 replies to this topic
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Best Route from Fresque des Lyonnais to Mur des Canuts

Hello, just want to warn you that it might be very hot in Lyon in July and you might find long walks even in the morning quite exhausting.

Maybe it's better to take a metro C till Henon station and then walk down the Croix Rousse hill instead of going up.

If you still prefer to go on foot then the best way is going up Montee de la Grande Cote, which has a nice view from the top and then boulevard des Canuts. Among other places with a view in the area rue des Tables Claudiennes (over ampitheatre), place Rouville and jardin des Chartreux.

Alternatively you can first go by the Saone river bank till Homme de la Roche monument, then climb up the stairs at the end of rue de la Muette. In this case it will be very straightforward - first a view from the jardin des Chartreux, then place Rouville, then rue des Tables Claudiennes and finally you will join the Montee de la Grande Cote already at the upper section. Probably it's even a better itinerary and you can take a photo of Homme de la Roche on your way as well.

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Best Route from Fresque des Lyonnais to Mur des Canuts

Thanks!

My grandpa used to say that those who doesn't listen to advices don't get old, so meeting halfway, I'm taking the metro and coming down walking using the alternative route through de Homme de la Roche.

Lot of blessings and may the (¿dark side of the?) force be with you. You know, being a Darth and that... :)

Reply to: Best Route from Fresque des Lyonnais to Mur des Canuts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted