We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gare de Lyon Part Dieu

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Gare de Lyon Part Dieu

We will need to change trains in Lyon Part Dieu and are curious about the layout of the station. We will be coming from CDG on a TGV, connecting to Annecy (hope by TER, not autocar/bus). How much time would we need to make a connection. I have no idea which platform we will be arriving on from CDG, nor which platform for a TER to Annecy (or bus to Annecy).

Does Lyon Part Dieu have escalators to speed up our connection (we will have some, but not a lot, of luggage.

TIA

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gare de Lyon Part Dieu

Lyon Part Dieu is a rather busy train station, one of the largest in France. Its layout is a bit particular because the train station is located underneath the platforms.

When you arrive from CDG (there is no way to know which platform it will be in advance), you will have to go down to the train station (there are escalators and also long inclined planes without steps, so it's not really difficult even if you have luggage). There, you will find screens linking the next departures to the platforms, so you will have to identify your train and go up to the corresponding platform. If you have to take a bus, look for "Gare Routière" (it is just outside the train station).

Even if you are not familiar with the station (and I personally find that everything is quite well indicated, there are lots of signs everywhere), I think 15 minutes is a reasonable amount of time for a connection.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
France
France
Europe
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gare de Lyon Part Dieu

If you will have a cellular data service on your phone you can see the platform allocation for all trains in real time at the link below at Part Dieu as your TGV pulls into the station. There’s no way to know it more than 20 minutes in advance.

The concourse that runs under the tracks and connects them is large and busy and it can take a couple of minutes to find the track information monitor. 15 minutes is an okay connection time, but it’s not a lot, and it’s not unusual for trains to arrive a few minutes late. Anything you can do to speed the process up is good.

https:/…lyon-part-dieu

Edited: 13 June 2018, 05:54
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gare de Lyon Part Dieu

I suggest that you ask your TGV crew about the connection. They will be able to give your departure platform details as well as your schedule prior to arrival, which will be indeed useful (especially if the local train is late).

Reply to: Gare de Lyon Part Dieu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted