We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

Houston/North Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

Hi, I am flying into Frankfurt but trying to get to Munich for Oktoberfest. I have researched this a little and it looks like the cheapest option by far is to take the RMV to Kahl then get the Bayern-Ticket to Munich (there are only 2 of us traveling together). But I'm trying to check out the schedules and it's all a little confusing. Do you think it would be easier to just purchase the tickets when I arrive and wing it or should I just keep trying to decipher these schedules?? I'm just really concerned with getting back to Frankfurt for my morning flight...so any advice from anyone who's done this or is familiar with the German train system would be appreciated!!! Also is this going to be a crazy amount of transferring trains?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

> RMV to Kahl then get the Bayern-Ticket to Munich (there are only 2 of us traveling together)

Not necessarily the best option for 2. Depends on the day you're traveling. And where you'll stay in Munich.

> Do you think it would be easier to just purchase the tickets when I arrive

In case of the RMV ticket you have not much choice than to buy the ticket on spot. Bayern-Ticket is also always available on spot.

> and wing it or should I just keep trying to decipher these schedules??

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Munich

and select as means of transport "only local transport"

Ignore any drop-down boxes which may pop up.

Click on '>' to see the details for a connection.

Getting back to Frankfurt: to give you any advice on this you should give the date and time you have to be at Frankfurt Airport.

I hope you're not flying with Ryanair to (Frankfurt-)Hahn airport.

Houston/North Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

Thanks for the help! Nope I'm flying on the US carrier that I work for which doesn't fly to Munich. So I'm going to keep looking into it!

Houston/North Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

Also forgot to mention I's staying within walking distance of the main train station in Munich which I believe is called Hauptbahnhof. Also I need to be at the Frankfurt airport by 9am. If I have to take a train the night before that's fine as well.

Houston/North Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

The day I'm leaving is Sept 24th.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

Arrival day with regional trains from Frankfurt Airport to Munich:

Sa,Su: Happy-Weekend-Ticket EUR 28,00 for 1-5 persons

Mo-Fr past 9am: Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket EUR 39,00 for 2 persons

Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket does not cover local public transport in Munich besides the S-Bahn. But cheaper than RMV + Bayern Ticket. And as you stay in walking distance of the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and also the Oktoberfest is in walking distance use this ticket.

You can buy either ticket on spot from ticket machines at Frankfurt Airport. Or for EUR 2,00 more at the counter.

Back to Frankfurt Airport:

There is an ICE train on the 24. Sep. 2009 Munich Hbf dep 03:17 Frankfurt Airport arr 07:06. You can get at the moment a discounted special for this train for EUR 69,00 (for both of you together).

dep 05:23 arr 09:06 is EUR 129,00

dep 05:51 arr 09:21 is EUR 49,00

These special tickets are limited in numbers and will sell out sooner or later. You better book as soon as possible.

DB timetable (now with shortcuts)

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: FRA

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

sorry, wrong price

Sa,Su: Happy-Weekend-Ticket EUR 37,00 for 1-5 persons

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

Esp. for the 05:23 or 05:51 trains buy seat reservations together with your ticket (EUR 2,00 per seat).

8. Re: CHEAP Train from Frankfurt to Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 15:20