We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Road in November

virginia
Level Contributor
271 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Road in November

We'd like to do a road trip from Amsterdam to tour the sights along the Romantic Road in late November. What kind of weather and road conditions should we expect at this time of year? I am mostly concerned with black ice.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
4 replies to this topic
Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
788 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Road in November

No ice in November. But expect lots of rain and maybe fog in the mornings. Days will be short in November and the landscape will look barren with no leaves on the trees. Remember that the Romantic Road is not romantic at all. It is a regular highway which connects the romantic historic towns.

virginia
Level Contributor
271 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Road in November

Thanks, @Traveller1959 for your feedback. Could I ask more about the rain? Should we expect a light drizzle or all day pounding rain during that time of year? And, yes, I realize that the Romantic Road is not romantic :)

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
10,830 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Road in November

One can not predict the type of rain. Could be short, strong showers, could be steady all day, could be drizzle... Anyway, November is probably the greyest month of all, just not inviting to spend any time outside, e.g. walking a town.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
788 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Road in November

I remember one November when it was raining for three weeks, without one minute of interruption. Remember it so well, because it was the time when I rode my bicycle every day and it was awful.

Like the story of the tourist in Alaska who asked that kid "since when is it raining?". And the kid answers "don't know, I am just seven".

Reply to: Romantic Road in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted