We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

Bay Springs...
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

We (my wife and I) are planning 10 days in Bavaria the first week of October. Thanks to those who helped us determine bases for our upcoming holiday. We've settled on 5 days in Berchtesgaden (actually, Ramsau) followed by 4 days in Mittenwald. We intended to use public transport entirely but have been advised that in order to see some of the sights on our itinerary (day trip to Hallstatt) we probably need to rent a car for at least some of our time there.

Since we're having to rent a car to visit Hallstatt, we're considering that it might be smart to keep the car for 3 or 4 days in order to transfer bases and to see some of the sights we might want to see in the Mittenwald area. Those sights include Linderhof, Ettal monastary, Wieskirche, Neuchwanstein (not to tour, just to visit the grounds and view from Marienbrucke - I know, I know), and the castles (Ehrenberg) near Reutte.

Now to our questions and need for your help/advice. The tentative plan is to visit Salzburg by public transport on our next to last day in Berchtesgaden (Friday, 5.10), pick up our rental late that afternoon in Freilassing on our way back, then drive to Hallstatt and back on our last day in Ramsau (that would be Saturday). Then on Sunday, we would drive from Ramsau to Mittenwald.

So here's where we have questions. First, what would be the best, most scenic route to drive. Also, keeping in mind that we will have the car all day Sunday and Monday (and if need be Tuesday also), what would be the best plan to allow us to visit those sights outlined earlier on the drive over and the next day or so? We're having trouble sorting out the best order to try to fit these sights in. Any advice or suggestions (including the feasibility of this plan) would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
9 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
932 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

Just puzzle you tour together witht he help of Google maps or

https://www.viamichelin.com/

and see how things work out-

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
10,822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

Following the German Alpine Road is one scenic option from Berchtesgaden to Mittenwald: https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home I usually recommend to branch off the GAR and drive along Sylvenstein Reservoir and the toll road along the young Isar river to Mittenwald - possibly with a sidetrip into Grosser Ahornboden: https:/…grosser-ahornboden.html

The order of sights on your to-do-list would make for a perfect loop: Ettal, Wieskirche, Neuschwanstein/Marienbrücke, Ehrenberg castle, Linderhof palace. A bit too much for one day, though. Maybe do the abbey / church theme on one day, the castle / palace theme on the other. Driving in the area is sheer pleasure anyway, you wouldn't regret driving some roads twice.

Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bay Springs...
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

Thanks so much Oli. Any suggestions on how to break that loop up? It looks like it might make better sense to get the sights around Oberammergau on the way in on my travel day but since that is a Sunday I'm guessing it would not be the proper day to visit Wieskirche and Ettal?

Mentioned in this post
Oberammergau
Oberammergau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bay Springs...
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

Follow up question: we plan to get a SIMM card for our phone so we hope to have access to Google Maps. So would it be worth it to get a GPS with the car? Also, I haven't been able to find a paper map that has the detail I want. I'm assuming I will just need to buy one in Germany. Suggestions on a good map and where it can be purchased?

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
68 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

If you have a european sim card, I recommend that you use your phone for navigation. No need to pay for the rental GPS and the phone map is probably more up to date anyway. And easier to use.

Not sure where you are located, but I picked up a detailed map for Germany at the AMA. It was actually TOO detailed and overwhelming with all the tiny towns and back roads. Try looking at google maps on your computer, zooming in or out until you get the level of detail you want and then printing that

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Bay Springs...
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

Thank you Conniex. Good suggestions. Thanks again.

Level Contributor
523 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

We never ask for a GPS in our rental car upfront, since they charge for it, but they've always come with one anyway. Most newer cars have them built-in. I'm not sure if that's the case if you rent a compact car, but economy and up, we've always gotten one free.

Oberammergau is adorable! I was there the first week of October in 2015 and the fall foliage was absolutely stunning in the entire area. The shops will be closed but it is still worth walking around and enjoying some lunch. The drive to Ettal from Oberammergau is also gorgeous. My friend and I were heading to Linderhof and I kept making her pull over so I could take pictures. We spent a few hours at Linderhof and if I lived near there, I'd be there all the time. It's a great, small castle with beautiful grounds. If you can manage a lot of steps, it is worth climbing them for the views and the pictures. I've been to 7 or 8 German castles and palaces and it is one of my favorites. So relaxing, especially if you get up those stairs!

Mentioned in this post
Oberammergau
Oberammergau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bay Springs...
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

Thanks again for the very helpful suggestions. Don't know what I would do without Tripadvisor and all those who take the time to help others.

Level Contributor
523 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise

It's been a lifesaver for me!! I get so much great info here. When I have an answer, I am always happy to give back. :-)

Reply to: Berchtesgaden to Mittgenwald area in rental car - advise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted