We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staudacherhof Hotel Location

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Hello All! My husband and I will be staying in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for 5 nights in August. I have been looking at the Staudacherhof Hotel. It looks fabulous and even has an outdoor pool which is great. I have been looking at maps of Ga-Pa trying to get a handle on where everything is and am finding it confusing. We will be out every day exploring, but would like to be within fair walking distance to restaurants and bars for the evenings. Is the Staudacherhof Hotel in a good location for what we are looking for? One reviewer stated it was a couple of blocks to the "upscale shopping street", but not sure where that is in relation to everything else! We don't need upscale shopping, but would like options for casual dining and a few beers. Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Staudacherhof
Staudacherhof
253 Reviews
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
10 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Yes, the location is perfect and just minutes from the old center of Garmisch, which is considered the more elegant of the two towns. But Garmisch is not Aspen! You will surely find plenty of casual dining options or places to go for a couple beers - like the beergarden of Fischer‘s Mohrenplatz.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Thanks, Oli! Your help with both my posts today is much appreciated.

Glad to hear Ga-Pa is not like Aspen! Fischer's Mohrenplatz looks exactly like the kind of place we would enjoy. I adore beer gardens in Germany. We never had a beer inside on our last trip. Actually I don't think we even had a meal inside! I just did Google walking directions and it is a 9 minute walk from the hotel...perfect!

Right, I am off to book the hotel. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Garnisch is fab, but I’d also recommended a side trip to mittenwald, some great walks and nice beer gardens too

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Thanks, StockportBreaker! Mittenwald is definitely on the agenda!

Mentioned in this post
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

That location looks very good. We have stayed at the Hotel Edelweiss on Martinswinkelstrasse a couple of times, and we walked everywhere from there, and it is further out. I adore GaPa, you will have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Edelweiss
Hotel Edelweiss
458 Reviews
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Thanks for the vote of confidence, EmeraldDiva! GaPa looks like a place we will enjoy. It will be nice to be in one spot for 5 nights and we'll have 5 nights in Berchtesgaden before we get there.

We plan to do lots of trips from our base there....Mittenwald, Ettal Abbey, Innsbruck, Linderhof Palace, Oberammergau, Eng Alm and even over to Vipiteno in Italy. I was sorry to hear that Partnach Gorge is closed and even sorrier to hear that someone died. That was on my list as well. I'm hoping we will have enough to see/do in the 5 days.

I see from your posts that your a true blue fan of GaPa. Any other day trips or experiences you can recommend that I've missed?

Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Ettal Abbey
Ettal Abbey
423 Reviews
Ettal, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Linderhof Palace
Linderhof Palace
2,101 Reviews
Ettal, Germany
Oberammergau
Oberammergau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Vipiteno
Vipiteno
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Well the obvious omission is the Zugsptize, just stunning on a clear day. I have been up many times in both good weather and bad, but I am mad about mountains!!! You can do the round trip from GaPa, cogwheel train to the glacier, short cable car to the summit, cable down to lake Eibsee then train or bus back to town. If you have a car, it is only a short drive to Ehrwald, Austria where you can also go up the Zugspitze, this time on one looong cable car ride.

I have been to Mittenwald twice, but was rather underwhelmed both times. However, I know I am in the minority there. Very much enjoyed the trip on the Karwendalbahn though, again lovely on a clear day.

The Eckbauerbahn in GaPa is a sweet, little ride although it is a shame you can't combine that with the gorge. On our last visit the gorge was closed (due to ice) for our entire stay. We ended up driving back from Fuessen to see it! Yes, such a shame to hear of the tragedy that occurred there.

We enjoyed Linderhof. I would suggest going early. I was surprised how busy it was and we were there in December! Well worth the visit though.

We also did a lovely walk around the historic areas of both Garmisch and Partenkirchen. The helpful folk at the tourist office suggested that and provided the map and route. It was a good way to spend a spare morning.

There is so much in the area, so many cute villages, mountain excursions etc, I could go on and on, filling your 5 days will not be a problem. I am just a little envious!

Mentioned in this post
Eibsee
Eibsee
572 Reviews
Grainau, Germany
Ehrwald
Ehrwald
Tirol, Austria
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Eckbauerbahn
Eckbauerbahn
46 Reviews
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Yes, I did omit Zugspitze, but I did so on purpose! :)) The thoughts of being on a cable car terrify me. A cogwheel train or funicular I would have no problem with. We took the cogwheel train in St. Wolfgang to Mt. Schafberg 3 years ago and it was wonderful. I know I'm probably missing out, but I have rationalized it as being ok as we will have been to Eagle's Nest prior in our trip and that will give us the "on top of the mountain" experience. The bus ride up looks really scary, but I might have a couple of beers beforehand to steady the nerves! :))

We will have a car as we enjoy the freedom to go off the beaten path and be on our own schedule. It looks like I'll be spoiled for choice! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Zugspitze
Zugspitze
3,284 Reviews
St. Wolfgang
St. Wolfgang
Upper Austria, Austria
The Eagle's Nest
The Eagle's Nest
2,101 Reviews
Berchtesgaden, Germany
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Oh, I am sorry so many of my suggestions involve cable cars, but I just adore mountains! You can get most of the way up the Zugspitze (to the glacier) on the cogwheel train, but you may not consider that worth the cost.

I used to have a real issue with cable cars, but I dislike missing out on things so I have been able to overcome that, but we are all different and I can certainly understand your reservations...

Anyway GaPa and the surrounding area is so lovely and I am sure you will enjoy it very much.

Mentioned in this post
Zugspitze
Zugspitze
3,284 Reviews
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staudacherhof Hotel Location

Please don't be sorry, EmeraldDiva! I'm very grateful for your suggestions and feedback. I wish I wasn't so afraid of them. They just don't look "solid" to me and more like something you'd see at an amusement park. I'm not a big fan of heights to begin with. :((

Who knows...maybe I'll gather up the courage to try at least one that doesn't look so bad. I'll report back if I do! Thanks again!

Reply to: Staudacherhof Hotel Location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted