We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interior Neuchwanstein or Hohenschwangau

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Interior Neuchwanstein or Hohenschwangau

Have limited time, really want to see Neuschwanstein exterior from the bridge & courtyard but if we only have time to tour one castle should it be see Hohenschwangau or Neuschwanstein? I understand there are also nice gardens at Hohenschwangau. Any advice would be appreciated.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interior Neuchwanstein or Hohenschwangau

We were just there, Hohenschwangau has a nice garden area w/a view of Neuschwanstein, but otherwise Neuschwanstein & immediate area wins hands down...

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interior Neuchwanstein or Hohenschwangau

It is a shame not to see both if you are there, but if you can only do one, then I agree with #1 and would go for Neuchwanstein. There may only be a small number of rooms finished, but they are pretty stunning.

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interior Neuchwanstein or Hohenschwangau

It really depends on your tastes, I much prefer Hohenschwangau. However, Neuschwanstein is the world famous one, and if you don't see it you will always wonder what you might have missed. You really need to see both. Ludwig II built Neuschwanstein in the mid 1800's; he grew up in Hohenschwangau which was an ancient castle ruin restored by his father in 1832. Neuschwanstein is the fantasy of a dreamer, Hohenschwangau was a residence of the royal family.

4. Re: Interior Neuchwanstein or Hohenschwangau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 13:18