We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein late afternoon or early morning

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein late afternoon or early morning

Driving from Salzberg to Fussen July 4, 2013. Trying to decide if we should visit Neuschwanstein Castle late afternoon on Thursday the 4th or early morning Friday July 5th. Can anyone tell me how bad the crowds are late afternoon in the summer? Would it be better to reserve tickets for first tour on Friday morning or will some of the lines have died down if we wait and do a tour around 5pm on Thursday? Thanks for any insight!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein late afternoon or early morning

I would recommend going first thing in the morning. Not sure how busy it would be at 5:00, but likely busier than at 9:00. Definitely reserve your tickets in advance. I personally think it's overrated compared to other castles and here's why: monkeysandmountains.com/neuschwanstein-castl… I totally get why people want to visit it, but it's good to keep your expectations in check. If you're interested in visiting King Ludwig's castles, I highly recommend Schloss Herrenchiemsee - it cost more than Neuschwanstein and Linderhof combined and is based on Versaille. It's also busy, but you take a boat ride to get to it and it makes for a really nice outing.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein late afternoon or early morning

I agree you should definitely reserve your tickets ahead of time. If you reserve for the first available slot on Friday morning, then on Thursday you could use your time to explore the area without worrying about being on time. Lines for same day tickets are very long; the line for already reserved tickets is almost non existent. Fuessen itself is a nice little town and worth exploring. Also since you will have a car, you might want to see Linderhof (another one of Ludwig's palaces) and the amazing rococo wonder the Wieskirche, on the UNESCO world heritage list.

http://fuessen-en.ictourismus.de/

http://www.wieskirche.de/eframset.htm

I also agree that Lake Chimsee with its palace is worth a visit. The Hall of Mirrors there seems to stretch on forever. My teenaged daughter and I liked it, with the lake, better than Neuschwanstein.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein late afternoon or early morning

We went to Neuschwanstein in Dec lst yr. We had prebooked our tickets so there was no problem for us, but the line for non booked tickets was immense at 9am in the morning. The queues got longer as the day went on, so I would go for the morning and definetely prebook.

We saw Hohenschwangau, Neuchwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee and Neuschwanstein was my personal favourite, although I am glad I saw all of them. Herrenchiemsee is lovely, but it is based on Versaille, so if you have already been to Versaille it will feel quite familiar.

Fussen is a lovely place, well worth visiting if you can.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 06:08
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein late afternoon or early morning

Hello,

Is it possible to see Neushwanstein Castle and maybe Linderhof palace in 11 hours layover in Munich during my trip from NYC to Poland on July 20th? I land at 10:15am and have flight out at 9:25pm. I noticed all tours are starting around 8-9am from Munich. Would you know of any other options? I would love to see both castles if there is possibility without too much of expense. Thanks for reading my question

Regards

Roman

5. Re: Neuschwanstein late afternoon or early morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 12:15