We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Autobahn

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Autobahn

If I go by train from Munich to Fuessen, will I be able to "see" any Autobahn from the train? I won't be driving in Germany - so will miss the Autobahn experience - but wondering if I can atleast see it.

Sorry, if this is sort of a stupid question :(

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Autobahn

The train route crosses the Autobahn several times but there is not much to be seen. It's quite unimpressive.

…blogspot.com/-4aReH7cJRpM/…autobahn.jpg

planet-wissen.de/alltag_gesundheit/verkehr/s…

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,559 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Autobahn

I don't think you will be able to see any of the Autobahn - I think the train takes a different route. At any rate, the Autobahn is pretty similar to limited-access highways in the US - freeways, interstates, etc. In fact, the US interstate system is designed from the Autobahn. The only real difference is that on parts of the Autobahn there aren't any speed limits. I find driving on the Autobahn to be enjoyable for the ability to drive faster than at home in many places and because German drivers seem to have more skill on average than American drivers. I don't think you'd get much of an experience by seeing the highway from the train though.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
35,947 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Autobahn

On this train route you cross just 2 autobahns.

Just outside Munich the A99 at the Aubing tunnel.

…bayern.de/assets/stmi/suv/bauunderhalt/iid8…

And at Buchloe the railway goes below the A96 (thus nothing to see apart from an autobahn bridge from below).

When traveling from Munich to Nuremberg the new highspeed railway goes in parts parallel to the autobahn A3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csGxgKVYpDw

But note that this video was made in winter. At other times you'll see much less due the leaves on the trees and bushes.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Autobahn

You can see it from the plane. Where are you flying to? Munich? Just get a window seat, there'll be an Autobahn wherever you fly into. ... And don't worry about "missing" anything. It's not an experience, it's a living nightmare.

usa
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Autobahn

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try to catch a glimpse of it landing into Munich :-) or if I can at the tunnel mentioned by abalada :-)

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Autobahn

The autobahn's not what you'd expect. You're not missing anything. trust.

7. Re: Autobahn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 13:20