We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in hand baggage

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
286 reviews
Food in hand baggage

I would like to bring some Schneeballen (snowballs) back with me, which is a cake in Germany, but I don’t have any checked baggage, only carry on. I have two flights back home, from Nuremberg to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Do you think KLM would let me take some of these cakes back with me to a Edinburgh through both airports, or would they get taken off me?

I have heard of others taking cheese and meat home no problem in their hand luggage, so I don’t see why this should be a problem? Could someone confirm if they know? Thanks in advance

18 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Food in hand baggage

Sure, why not?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Food in hand baggage

Cake? Rothenburg Schneeballen are strips of pastry formed into a loose ball that is deep fried. Besides the traditional ones that are sprinkled with powdered sugar, there are now many variants. As these are hard they should travel well without any problems and there should be no reason why you can't carry them on an airplane. As many people really dislike them (not me as I find that greasy pastry can become addictive with nothing else to eat while riding in a car), the real question is why you would want them?

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
286 reviews
3. Re: Food in hand baggage

To bring back to give to my family who love anything sweet lol

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
286 reviews
4. Re: Food in hand baggage

Thank you for your reply, you were most helpful 👍

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Food in hand baggage

Have you had these yet? They are the driest, most tasteless pastry you can waste your money on. So many other wonderful things to eat in Germany, but Schneeballs are not one of them.

I laughed when I read the wiki description. A dry pastry with a long shelf life of up to 8 weeks. Yum!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Food in hand baggage

Schneeballen are so ghastly they fall under the Geneva Convention. You can't bring weapons of mass destruction on a plane.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 14:25
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,071 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Food in hand baggage

lol, you people are funny! Basically, you will have no problem getting them out of the country(although I would take some other sweets), but maybe your country of destination will confisicate them if they are not packed in case they pull you out.

I see that on TV Shows about costums all the time, especially when people come from Turkey, they get there food taken and thrown in the trash

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
65 reviews
8. Re: Food in hand baggage

I actually like Schneeballen once in a while. Like once in a year. It easily substitutes a dinner.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: Food in hand baggage

I think they are about to pass a law forcing people to take these things out of the country...

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,071 posts
60 reviews
10. Re: Food in hand baggage

@framptonian, it is a lost cause as they make new Snowballs every morning again. ;-)

Reply to: Food in hand baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted