We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Hamburg....by train or bus?

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Frankfurt to Hamburg....by train or bus?

My husband and I will be flying into Frankfurt next and would like to get to Hamburg and visit some family. We've looked into flights and their rediculously expensive at $630 a person.

Does anyone know how much the train costs and about how long it would take? OR should we take the bus? Any suggestions would be great. Also, where can we find the train station?

thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt to Hamburg....by train or bus?

Frankfurt to Hamburg is 3 hours by train. Look up schedules and prices at www.bahn.de. Flying is never a good option on such short distances.

Bus is NOT the common long-distance means of travel in germany. There might be an occasional Eurolines bus (www.eurolines.com) once a day or so, but it will take twice as long as the train and not much cheaper.

Also, to prevent standard Tripadvisor question: no, you don't need to buy a ticket in advance, but you can. And no, don't use raileurope, yu can get tickets from bahn.de. No, the train cannot be booked out however many tickets have been sold. And yes, you should reserve a seat, it is a very busy connection and in worst case you would have to sit on your luggage.

:-)

Germany
Level Contributor
123 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt to Hamburg....by train or bus?

Definitely train. I don't think there are any bus connections but I might be wrong. It takes about 4 hours on an ICE and costs around 90 Euros one way per person. There are direct trains every two hours from the airport long distance train station, otherwise you take a local train into Frankfurt and change at the main train station. It's all very easy. You can find exact times and prices on the German train website www.bahn.de. They have an English version.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt to Hamburg....by train or bus?

Just forgot to answer the one question you asked: the trian station is in the airport (actually two of them), just follow the signs showing a train. at www.bahn.de, look for schedules from Frankfurt Airport, not from Frankfurt! You will probably have to change in the Frankfurt main station (Hbf, Hauptahnhof)

Taunton, MA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt to Hamburg....by train or bus?

By TRAIN !!!!!!! As was said www.bahn.de and click on International travellers. When you check the fares, if you want to go from the airport train station place FRA in the from block.

You can also go from the Main Station downtown by just placing Frankfurt in the block..A train from the Airport to the down town station is about 3-4 euros.....You should check the fares from BOTH places since there are sometimes special deals from the Main Station that are not from the airport.

The ICE is like you hear of "bullet train". You can reserve seats

on this and it is better if you do. There are usually good deals

if you include at least one weekend day in the travel.

The Train station in the Frankfurt Airport is easy to find as signs are posted in the arrivals area. You can take a train from there or take a train to the main station downtown (Hauptbahnhof)..Remember most Germans speak English.

Airline tickets bought from the USA are considerably more expensive than if you by them on line from a German address. Your $630 fare bought online at opodo.de (in German) is 198 euro or about $250. You might check and see if the relatives can purchase the flights in your name by e-ticket

with their address.

Me ?, I would take the train.