We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Drive

Acton, MA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train or Drive

We are traveling from Madrid to Seville. We are family of 4 with teenage kids. I am trying to decide between Train and Driving. Lot of people of have told me best way to experience a country is drive through the country side. But that takes 5-6 hours to get to seville, while the fast train takes around 3 hours. I dont mind driving in exchange to experience the country side. I only have 3 days to spend after i leave Madrid, so time is more valuable. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful.

Thanks,

7 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,750 posts
3,767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Drive

For trains:

https:/…Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html

For Seville:

Seville is one of the cities in Spain with the most charm. A very good hotel in Seville is the Hotel Becquer (which has a garage), walkable to most sights. Use Booking.com to look at other hotels.

Must see places in Seville:

1. Church of El Salvador - One of the most beautiful Baroque churches. The ticket from this church allows one to also see the Cathedral and one can skip the queue there.

2. Cathedral/Giralda Tower - The Cathedral is the third biggest church in Europe.

3. Alcazar - The palace rivals the Alhambra. See the King’s apartments.

4. Plaza de España - The most beautiful plaza in Spain.

5. Palacio de las Dueñas - This palace is beautiful and has just opened up for the public. This is the residence of the Duke of Alba. A wonderful place to see.

6. Casa de Pilatos - Beautiful palace with wonderful gardens. See the upstairs apartment.

7. Museo de Bellas Artes - One of the most important art museums in Spain.

8. Museum-Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - Has some of the best Roman mosaics in Spain. See the upstairs apartment.

A good flamenco place is Los Gallos (Plaza de Santa Cruz, 11). The main shopping streets are Calle Tetuan and Calle Sierpes. There is a large El Corte Ingles Department store at Plaza del Duque de la Victoria.

Good restaurants:

1. Cuna 2 (Calle Cuna, 2;Tel 954-211-107) - A large, elegant restaurant with traditional Andalusian decoration and with beautiful ceramic tiles lining the walls of the dining rooms. There is a beautiful bar at the top of the building.

2. Casa Robles (Calle Alvarez Quintero, 58; Tel: 954-213-150) - An elegant restaurant near the Cathedral.

3. For tapas, go to Mercado Lonja del Baranco (Calle Arjona, 24; Tel. 917-582-420).

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
160 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Drive

Hello again. We took the train from Madrid to Cordoba, and then later from Seville to Madrid. It was very fast and convenient, so I vote for taking the train. Much faster, less hassle than having the car, and gas is very expensive in Spain. You can get up and walk around to stretch your legs and visit the snack car. I think you would enjoy the countryside view from the train better because you would not have to keep your eyes on the road. Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 08 June 2018, 11:54
Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Drive

I agree take the train.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,613 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or Drive

Have you considered taking the train (good idea by the way) from Madrid to Cordoba as its on the same line and spend the day and lunch in that city before finishing the train ride to Seville?

You will need separate train tickets for each leg.

Leave bags in lockers at bus station next door to train station.

Suggest you look at MEZQUITA in Cordoba. The old part of Cordoba has so much history and well worth reading up about.

Skip Granada for another time.

Acton, MA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or Drive

Thank you all for you feedback. You have convinced me to take the train instead of driving. Thanks for the suggestion MorganMurphy71 & Cadiz_lover on breaking up the journey & spend some time in Cordoba. Great Idea. Will most likely do that considering I have decided to skip Granada.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or Drive

It's a long boring drive. One I would never do again. The high speed train is so good.

Acton, MA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or Drive

ok Thanks

Reply to: Train or Drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted