We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passports

Otley, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
passports

i have asked this question before, and have done before, just want to make sure the rules and regs have not changed, i am taking color photocopies of our passports, (don't like carrying the originals) to get stamped by the local gardia station in coin, where we are staying, (they have obliged in the past many years ago), is this still ok as proof of ID if stopped/asked, I will be carrying my photo driving licence as well, the original, thanks in-advance

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,377 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passports

The original passport will be needed if involved in any criminal activity or if the police think you will need "further investigation" and so forth. Also when doing things that automatically require original such as when renting a car at the desk. It sounds like you may be staying in or around the Costa del Sol area. I would recommend taking a plastic laminated copy of just the passport photo page so that it can be kept in a back pocket in case of need. That's what I do. I also have a UK driving licence photo card. I think if the police really wanted to see your original passport then they would ask for it to be produced and take you back to your place. The Costa del Sol sees tourists from all over the world and the police are familiar with visitors. They wish to make visitors feel welcome.

Let's see what others say?

Mentioned in this post
Costa del Sol
Costa del Sol
Province of Malaga, Spain
Otley, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passports

Hi Cadiz, criminal activity, that made me chuckle, we will not be venturing to far, so short of a routine check/minor motoring issue, hope not to have any issues, will risk the photo copies unless local gardia will not stamp it as before, if worst comes to worst they will have to take me back to the finca for the originals, thanks for the reply, seems same as last time, just seeing if anything has changed

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
68,747 posts
3,765 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passports

I think the photocopy of your passport is okay. However if the police have any doubts they can follow you to your abode and see the original passport.

I have asked the police in Malaga about this and this is what they told me.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 11:06
Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Otley, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passports

Many thanks Benny, once again you have gone that extra mile :-)

Reply to: passports
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted