We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days... Seville or Cordoba??

Victoria, Canada
4 posts
1 review
2 days... Seville or Cordoba??

Hello! My fiance is moving to Spain from Canada to go to IE Business School and I am planning a 10 day trip to Spain to see him in August. Since his apartment is located in Madrid, we thought we would take a couple trips to other cities. Due to my short visit I only have 2 days available for a quick trip to southern Spain but have been dreaming of going there for ages. With two days including travel via high speed train, which city would allow me the most value for my short time? We love charming architecture, tiny alleys and beautiful picture spots! Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: 2 days... Seville or Cordoba??

That is a really tough choice! Will you have future opportunity to come back to visit the town you do not get to see? I guess since you only have 2 days, I'd go with the slightly shorter route and choose Cordoba. You get to see the Mezquita, which was my favorite sight during our Spain Trip. Also, the Alcazar, Roman Bridge, Synagogue, and lots of narrow winding streets. Seville was lovely too, but there is so much to see, perhaps it is best to leave that for the next trip when you can spend more days. Have fun!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
70,624 posts
3,788 reviews
2. Re: 2 days... Seville or Cordoba??

For trains:

https:/…Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html

There is much more to see in Seville than Cordoba.

For Seville:

Seville is one of the cities in Spain with the most charm. A very good hotel in Seville is the Hotel Becquer (which has a garage), walkable to most sights. Use Booking.com to look at other hotels.

Must see places in Seville:

1. Church of El Salvador - One of the most beautiful Baroque churches. The ticket from this church allows one to also see the Cathedral and one can skip the queue there.

2. Cathedral/Giralda Tower - The Cathedral is the third biggest church in Europe.

3. Alcazar - The palace rivals the Alhambra. See the King’s apartments.

4. Plaza de España - The most beautiful plaza in Spain.

5. Palacio de las Dueñas - This palace is beautiful and has just opened up for the public. This is the residence of the Duke of Alba. A wonderful place to see.

6. Casa de Pilatos - Beautiful palace with wonderful gardens. See the upstairs apartment.

7. Museo de Bellas Artes - One of the most important art museums in Spain.

8. Museum-Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - Has some of the best Roman mosaics in Spain. See the upstairs apartment.

A good flamenco place is Los Gallos (Plaza de Santa Cruz, 11). The main shopping streets are Calle Tetuan and Calle Sierpes. There is a large El Corte Ingles Department store at Plaza del Duque de la Victoria.

Good restaurants:

1. Cuna 2 (Calle Cuna, 2;Tel 954-211-107) - A large, elegant restaurant with traditional Andalusian decoration and with beautiful ceramic tiles lining the walls of the dining rooms. There is a beautiful bar at the top of the building.

2. Casa Robles (Calle Alvarez Quintero, 58; Tel: 954-213-150) - An elegant restaurant near the Cathedral.

3. For tapas, go to Mercado Lonja del Baranco (Calle Arjona, 24; Tel. 917-582-420).

For Cordoba:

Use Booking.com to look for hotels and apartments in The Real Heart of Cordoba. For those making a day trip to Cordoba, the train station does not have luggage lockers but the bus station beside it has luggage lockers. A taxi to the Mezquita will cost only about 5 euros because the distance from the train station is only 1.8 km.

The best sights in Cordoba:

1. Mezquita/Cathedral - The most important architectural feature of the Mezquita are the double horseshoe arches, made of jasper, onyx, marble, and granite. There are 856 columns in the church and they seem to be a sea of arches and columns to the visitor.

2. Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos - Has beautiful gardens.

3. Palacio de Viana - The palace has important artwork and there are 12 different patios, all beautiful.

Good restaurants near the Mezquita:

1. Casa Pepe de la Juderia (Calle Romero, 3; Tel: 957-200-744).

2. El Caballo Rojo (Calle del Cardenal Herrero, 28; Tel: 957-475-375).

Shopping streets are the area around the Mezquita, Calle Jose Cruz Conde, Ronda de los Tejares, Conde de Gondomar and Avenida de Gran Capitan.

Dress code for churches: Shorts or bare shoulders are not allowed for either women or men. The Mezquita is a Catholic church.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,607 posts
1,131 reviews
3. Re: 2 days... Seville or Cordoba??

I so agree with Morgan! Two days in Cordoba would be perfect to get a feel of this amazing historical town. Mezquita is one of the most notable sights in the world, so to see its beauty alone is already worth a trip.

Going to Seville for 2 days would be a teaser. You need at least four days to scratch the surface of everything Seville had to offer.

Enjoy!

P.S. Benny, was there a question about dress code in churches? Am I missing something?😊

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,826 posts
292 reviews
4. Re: 2 days... Seville or Cordoba??

Cordoba would be great however it could be mighty hot so do factor this in.

There is no strict dress code when visiting the Mezquita.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: 2 days... Seville or Cordoba??

Yeah been there done that, could be 40 degrees so can only wear shorts and vest!. Cordoba is great though.

What's not clear is whether you have 2 full days. If you have 2 nights then stick to Cordoba. If 3 (IE 2 full days) then you should be able to pop down to Granada for the day, which will at least be cooler. It's not necessary to fit in the Alhambra if it can't be booked or takes up too much time. You can't miss it for goodness sake and as a medieval historian of sorts IMHO the vast tourist over-emphasis on this 13th-century souvenir detracts from the vast and rich buildings and heritage of medieval Spain.

Has to be remembered for 600 years of arab rule and for the Goths, Romans and Carhaginians before, the Alcazaba of Granada was on the Albaicin!

Reply to: 2 days... Seville or Cordoba??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted