We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tapas bars in old town

Ireland
Level Contributor
436 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Tapas bars in old town

Hi, I know this question has been asked in th past, but I can’t find recent info. We are looking for cheap and cheerful authentic tapas bars in the old town, or anywhere between the port and the old town. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best wishes and thanks for your help,

Colette.

Mini India Diana
$$ - $$$, Indian, Asian, Balti
Amura
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
Plan B
$$ - $$$, Indian, Cafe, European
13 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tapas bars in old town

I'm surprised you haven't had any replies.

I can't actualy think of a dedicated Tapas bar. Lots of the bars have a few tapes on the counter though so it's just a question of wandering round.

I do know a good one in San Pedro. From the main road at the bottom walk up the mainly pedestrian used street. A couple of roads up on the rhs is Calle Córdoba.

Turn right and walk a couple of hundred yards. At a junction you will see Bodega Charly. It's excellent .as a bonus on the opposite corner is a cafe that does chocolate and churro sat a fraction of the price in Marbella.

San Ped is worth a visit imho.

Mentioned in this post
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
585 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tapas bars in old town

Hullo there! Having a quick trip back to UK so been a bit busy. Sorry not replied before.

My family is Spanish and what we tend to do - in Estepona or elsewhre - is have "raciones", which are slightly larger helpings than tapas. You can ask for a half - media racion - of most things (usually not prawns or similar). So we ask for a range of things in halves or full helpings, getting freshly cooked servings.

But as Trickster says, bars will often have a counter with tapas pre-prepared, cold ones obviously.

Also, if you ask for the menu (which is NOT called a menu - that means a fixed-price mid-day meal - but a "carta") they will have there both hot and cold tapas that they have generally on most days, depending on what was available to buy in the fish market or greengrocer's.

I guess that you are staying in the Port area from your query. So start walking up the main road until you come to the Pharmacy just before the beginning of the pretty Fisherman's Quarter.

https://goo.gl/FDZWcW

Second street in, parallel to the main road is The Bar Virgen del Carmen. You can see it from the corner by the curtain shop next to the pharmacy. You can sit outside in the little square 20 metres along.

https://goo.gl/sY2myK

Continue along that road (Calle San Roque), then turn left into Calle Boliche, then first right into Calle Faro (aren't all these little houses lovely?) then you come to a little roundabout at the end of the curve of the street. Turn left up between two blocks, walk past the pink church. At this point you turn right down a pedestrian street (Calle Guadiaro) and there on the left is the Bar Toque.

https://goo.gl/nHGdit

Continue straight along the Calle Guadiaro (it becomes non-pedestrian after a bit), and then you cross another road and move slightly left to another pedestrian street, and you come out on the Calle Lazaga. Turn right and immediatelt opposite is the Plaza Miguel Angel Something-or-other. Only known it for 53 years, sorry, can't remember its full name!

There you will find several places to eat tapas or raciones.

Bar Las Tablas https://goo.gl/dAwxsv

Bar Benarraba https://goo.gl/yVtHXM

All these places can be found on Google Maps on your phone. They are all places that locals go to, and all offer outside eating away from cars roaring past.

In the actual Old Centre, the place to go to is the Calle Caridad. Pedestrian again, and with blue flower pots. It is lined with a whole range of places where you can get tapas and raciones - too many to list! Stop, look at the menu, look at what other people are having, be nosey, then choose.

It's a great place for eating out, is Estepona. I've known and loved it for 53 years, lived here for nearly 20, have put on the kilos to prove it!

Best wishes

Mentioned in this post
Estepona
Estepona
Costa del Sol, Spain
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Ireland
Level Contributor
436 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tapas bars in old town

I Hi Turista and Trickster, what fab information. This is just what I was hoping for. Looking forward to lots of exploring over the next few days. Best wishes and many thanks, Colette.

England
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tapas bars in old town

Have a read of Turista's many articles in the FAQs to get a feel for the place.

Ireland
Level Contributor
436 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tapas bars in old town

Thanks Trickster, yes have read lots and are very appreciative. Looking forward to your thoughts on Nerja. We loved it, but I think I will leave my heart in Estepona! All the best and happy travels, Colette.

Mentioned in this post
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Estepona
Estepona
Costa del Sol, Spain
England
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tapas bars in old town

Hi Collette.

We've been coming tobEstepona since 86 and have watched as it's gradual transformed into the fab place it is now.

We just fancied a change of scene next oct so are trying Nerja and back to La Carihuela.

But you can rest assured we aren't abandoning The Garden of the CDS

Mentioned in this post
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
La Carihuela
La Carihuela
3,015 Reviews
Torremolinos, Spain
Ireland
Level Contributor
436 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tapas bars in old town

Trickster, wow! That’s a long stretch!!!! We love different places too. This visit we have enjoyed Marbella, Nerja and Estepona, all different, yet all wonderful. Bring on retirement and we can explore more often. Thanks for all your advice. It makes holidays so much easier. All the best, Colette.

Mentioned in this post
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Estepona
Estepona
Costa del Sol, Spain
Seattle
Level Contributor
502 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tapas bars in old town

Thank you for all your information and I apologize for busting in on this thread, but we have to decide between Nerja and Estepona for Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday. Being an avid gardener and flower lover, Estepona sounds so wonderful. Turista would love to come to your Passion on Saturday before Easter. How do I decide?

Mentioned in this post
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Estepona
Estepona
Costa del Sol, Spain
England
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tapas bars in old town

I can't comment on the flower situation in Nerja, but for a flower lover Estepona is fabulous.

The planting on the approacf roads, beds on the passeo, loads of pretty plazas, most of the streets in the Old town have hanging baskets and pots, several lovely parks, plus the Orchid house.

Mentioned in this post
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Estepona
Estepona
Costa del Sol, Spain
Seattle
Level Contributor
502 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply