We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
201 posts
46 reviews
Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

Greetings Seville and train experts. Two of us are hoping to fly into Madrid early, and then board the Ave Seville train by early afternoon. I have data on flights and the speed train, but have this question: What is the best way to get to the Seville train from the airport? Also, we are over 60- can we purchase the Tarjeta Dorada on arrival at the airport or the nearest train station? Muchas gracias por su ayuda.

Granada Day Trip from Seville...
673 Reviews
from US$168.80*
Special Offer
Alcázar of Seville Early Access with...
218 Reviews
from US$33.15*
US$39.00
Best Seller
Fast-Track Seville Guided Tour into...
290 Reviews
from US$27.00*
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,471 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

I don't know if it's best but there is a direct suburban train from Madrid airport to Atocha station every 30 minutes, taking about 25 minutes for the journey.

Be sure you allow enough time once leaving the aircraft to get to Atocha station in time for the Seville train. Reservation is compulsory for all trains to Seville, so do check carefully that you allow sufficient time between landing and departure before you make your reservation.

I cannot answer the other question but if you do not reserve a ticket in advance from Madrid to Seville you may find the train you wish to take is full. Also, you will pay the most expensive fare.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
201 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

Thanks, cubsur, for the cautions. We'll be aware.

perth, scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

There is a renfe ticket office at the airport. Once you land you can buy your tickets on the next manageable train maybe 2 hours later. Then take either taxi or train to Atocha and just head for your train.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

I'm far from being an expert about Spain, but I just got back.

There is a bus from the Madrid airport to the Atocha station in Madrid for around 3 Euros. The taxi is 30 euros.

The age for the Tarjeta Dorada is 65 so "over 60" may or may not be eligible. I bought mine at the Granada railway station for 6 euros after I flew in to the Granada airport and then proceeded (at the same window) to buy a series of rail tickets with the TD discount for my 2 week trip mostly Andalucia.

When you buy on-line, to get the senior discount you need to put your TD number in. However, I have been told on this forum that the advance purchase discounts are better than the TD discounts. I just didn't get my act together in time.

Following Spanish-less's advice you should be able to buy the TD at the airport and immediately after buy your train ticket to Seville.

BTW, there are lots of discounts (and some free admissions) in Spain for EU nationals over 65, even when they aren't specifically posted as such. You will need to show a copy of your passport to get them, the Tarjeta Dorada is not enough, probably because it doesn't have any photo. I found a Xerox copy of my passport was fine.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 14:37
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
201 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

Thanks, Leagle, for the updates. We look forward to some great train times.

perth, scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

The renfe website confirms card is for over 60.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,871 posts
292 reviews
7. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

Will try to provide some additional.

The airport bus in Madrid which ends at Atocha is now Euros 5.

www.emtmadrid.es/lineaaeropuerto/tarifas.html

The Tarjeta Dorada card for over 60s costs Euros 6 and can be used on any train. There are no advance purchase Promo discounts available on Media Distancia trains such as Granada to Seville so the card will save money instantly. In this case 40%.

On the long distance lines and AVE the discounts vary according to the day of travel. There are Promo fares which may give a higher discount if bought in advance but these come with T&Cs such as no refund if you miss the train or decide to travel at another time.

The Tarjeta Dorada card is issued by RENFE and for use on the railways.

renfe.com/EN/…tarjeta_dorada.html

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

Thanks for the correction Cadiz-lover

I was told at the Granada station that I needed to be over 65 (and an EU national). I certainly found repeatedly that the requirement of 65 years of age applied to the reduced (sometimes free) admission to museums, cathedrals etc.

However, I accept that the clerk at the station must have been wrong and the senior rail card differs from the admission to tourist sights.

I was also told by the hotel that the bus from Atocha to the airport was 3 Euros (I took the taxi, a last minute decision) which should teach me only to repeat that which I know by personal experience (and sometimes, clearly, even that is not enough)

I can confirm that the taxi fare is 30 Euros and is set in advance, or at least ,mine was.

My apologies for being misleading.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 17:44
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
70,716 posts
3,787 reviews
9. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

ron:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
201 posts
46 reviews
10. Re: Getting to the Ave Seville train from Madrid airport

Once again, thanks to all of you for your help. Cadiz_lover, Benny, and Leagle!