We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Hi,

the La Palma forum is very a quiet one.

I hadn't noticed any visitors doing trip reports like the ones you'll find for other locations, so I've decided to write one, incase people are considering visiting this beautiful island.

We (wife, me and teenage son) chose La Palma, as wanted to visit a small island, so we could hire a car and view natural beauty, experience the local culture and relax in the sun.

La Palma fulfilled our wishes. We had one week on the island. .

We flew by easyjet, left London at 6am and arrived in La Palma just after 10am, which was a fantastic time to arrive. We hired a car through Cicar, who I very much recommend, and drove the 5/10 mins drive to Santa Cruz. We parked up and headed to McDonalds for a bite to eat, why on earth we chose this place, i have no idea, it must of been something to do with my teenage son. Just over the road there were dozens of cheap, clean tasty restaurants and cafes. This was the only time we visited McDonalds.

The hotel we stayed in was the Apartamentos Centrocancajos, this is a 3 star hotel which we very much enjoyed staying in. The location in Los Cancajos is brilliant.

Next door to our hotel is a family run bike-hire business called SuBici. We hired bikes and found SuBici a really wonderful company to use. They are very friendly, informative and hire out great mountain bikes. Biking is a fantastic way to get close to the islands beauty. For those who don't like biking, they hire out ebikes.

The places we drove to : Caldera de Taburiente National Park is breath taking,Los Tilos is beautiful and Charco Azul had to be our favourite place, TA has many reviews and should be on a must to see list. Nearby is the Aldea distillery which produces rum, its worth a visit to the shop.

We drove to Tazacorte on the other side of the island. You can find the Ocean Explorer company, who offer boat trips to view whales and dolphins. This was my wifes favourite memory. A pod of dolphins swam alongside our boat and we all loved watching them.

La Palma has many many family run cafes and restaurants. For 7.50- 15.00 euros, you can get a wonderful meal. Wine/beers are also cheap. The local shops sell drink cheaper than duty free, so buy from local shops if you like a drink.

The island has a Lidl store, for those self catering, this would be the best place to stock up.

We very much enjoyed our visit, La Palma is full of Spanish charm, culture and beauty. The local people are warm, friendly and chilled out. If i lived there, i'd be the same

2 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
569 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Enjoyed reading your trip report billy, we go in 6 days, so fingers crossed for some good weather and food :-)

Caldera de Taburiente National Park is high on my list of revisits - we visited La Palma 10 years ago and I've got the feeling not much has changed.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Hi Mulch,

i also hope the weather is good for you, it was nice whilst we were there. Hot enough to swim in Charco Azul and lay on the beach at Los Cancajos

Next week should be warmer for you's.

As for the food, we loved eating out, meals were delicious and cheap in my opinion

have a lovely holiday

Reply to: Trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted