We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castellars today

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
215 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Castellars today

According to the calendar, they are in 2 locations today - Placa de la Bonanove for Castellers de Cerdanyola, Castellers de Sarrià, and Colla Castellera Jove de Barcelona as well as Alfons X for Castellers de Badalona, Castellers de la Vila de Gràcia, and Colla Castellera de Figueres. Does this mean there will be 3 groups performing in each location? And would one location be better than the other? As always, I appreciate your guidance.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Badalona
Badalona
Figueres
Figueres
Province of Girona, Spain
9 replies to this topic
1. Re: Castellars today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 June 2018, 15:19
Edited: 10 June 2018, 15:19

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Castellars today

Yes.

You might (or might not be aware) but each of these "performances" that happen throughout the year are sort of "matches" -so to speak- and each colla scores according to its performance that day. This goes towards the end of the season with its stellar "superbowl" :) in Tarragona. And as in any league, some teams are "better" than others and attract more fans. So, having said this, I guess at Alfons X there'll be a bit more people than at Bonanova.

Mentioned in this post
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
Bonanova
Bonanova
143 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
215 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castellars today

Great, thanks. How long does it last and if it starts at 12 pm, what time would we want to arrive?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,618 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Castellars today

In all, a bit more than an hour give or take.

Say 30' before noon.... again it all depends on how close to the "action" you want to be.

This is a video of a typical Sunday in Gràcia (Barcelona) with colles competing with each other, so you can see the number of people gathering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP0IcH_lzEQ

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castellars today

I'm thinking closer to 2 hours. The season is beginning to get going properly with some of the top groups starting to complete 9 level castells. I expect that Castellers de Vila de Gràcia (the blue team) will be taking great care to get their structures right today as some of their local rivals have had some good performances. Should be good.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
215 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castellars today

How are they judged?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castellars today

It's a combination of the difficulty of the castell and whether or not it is successfully dismounted (i.e. without a fall). In truth at many displays the groups are 'competing' against themselves. At today's Alfons X display, CdeVG are much the largest group and the more people you have, the better the chance of building something big and difficult.

Here's the scoring table for this years Concurs in October :

concursdecastells.cat/taula-de-puntuacions-2…

Descarregat means the tower has been built and taken down, Carregat that is has been built but fell after being crowned. The lowest points are therefore for a castell 6 levels high and with two people on the main levels, with the highest available points being for a 4de10sm, 10 levels high, 4 on each of the main levels with one auxiliary base level (the 'folre'). 'sm' means 'sens manilles' or without the 3rd auxiliary base. It hasn't been completed yet and I'm not convinced it has ever been attempted in the modern era.

CVG will probably be building castells in Grup 5, which are impressive. Those in groups 6 and above are very seldom seen (there are several listed that we haven't seen and we've seen a LOT of castells events and participated in many) and normally only attempted by groups in the top 5 or 6 in the world. CVG are usually in the top 12 or so.

Mentioned in this post
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,618 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Castellars today

oopsy, I agree, don't know what I was thinking when I said one hour... I was probably thinking in that unless you're very into castellers (or fall in love at first sight) you're likely to stay in all around an hour. A bit like baseball, things happen "slowly", I mean, while the castell is built within a few minutes, it takes a while to prepare, etc so after a few of them -unless very interested, most tourist will move on... so in all, I'd say an hour.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castellars today

Looks like CVG had a tough day. I saw a video of the 2 of 7 that looked very nice.

Reply to: Castellars today
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted