We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on two hotel options

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
281 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on two hotel options

We will be in Barcelona the last week of June. I am currently weighing two hotels - El Avenida Palace in the Example neighborhood, and K&K Picasso, on the edge of the Parc de la Ciutadella. We are two adults with an 11 year old son. I am hoping those in the know could maybe weigh in on the relative benefits of the location of these two hotels or other factors I may not be aware of?

At El Avenida Palace we would have a Junior Suite, which includes a sofa bed for our son in a separate alcove; the room is quite large at 40m sq. But there are many comments about the hotel being noisy, particularly because of the subway located directly below. We expect city hotels to be somewhat noisy and would travel with earplugs, but I am a little worried about the subway noise. The size of the room would be a big plus, and we are staying 5 or six nights so having some extra space might be nice.

K&K Picasso would offer us a regular triple room, with a sofa bed for our son, but room is smaller (no separate alcove/sitting area). But a majority of the reviews comment on the hotel rooms being quiet, and I wonder if this might be better overall. Both hotels have small rooftop pools; the K&K offers 8 Euro day passes to a full-service gym across the street - we both work out regularly and see this as a plus too.

I am leaning towards the K&K Picasso, but would appreciate any additional input from those who may know more about the relative benefits/location of each of these hotels. Price is close enough that it isn't a deciding factor.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Hotel El Avenida Palace
Hotel El Avenida Palace
2,401 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Museo Picasso
Museo Picasso
8,522 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Parc de la Ciutadella
Parc de la Ciutadella
6,689 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Euro Hotel Barcelona
Euro Hotel Barcelona
631 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
5 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on two hotel options

If I were you I would get the k and K hotel. The area is nice, and quiet at night, except when there are operas at the parliament. But seems to be long gone those operas for a while...

You don't need a gym. You can walk a lot through barcelona, and the seafront is one of the best places to do running and enjoying the views.

Access from the airport to that area is relatively easy, and from now, if you want to go to other places in the city, it is better to get Rodalies trains from Estació de França and then connecting to other transports that taking the super crowed Metro L4 in summer. And you will discover a magnificient station as well.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on two hotel options

With their being 3 of you and staying 5 or 6 nights I would have thought that an apartment would have been more convenient. You would have more space for one thing. 3 people in a small room for so many nights, with the third bed a sofa bed, does not sound ideal to me, although the location is very good

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
281 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on two hotel options

Lynda- we did consider an apartment, and I may take another look. We waited pretty long to book, and many of the available options were "new" with no reviews which makes me nervous. Also, my son would like a pool, and although I realize the hotel pools are tiny,, I think he would appreciate the option to take a quick dip in the afternoon to refresh before heading out again for the evening. But it sounds like in general the K&K location is better?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
67,093 posts
3,764 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on two hotel options

I always travel with my ear plugs because I am very sensitive to noise.

Whitley Bay
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on two hotel options

I can only comment on the Avenida Palace hotel and it is a truly lovely hotel. So much history and it is in a fantastic location. If you request a room on the third floor or above you shouldn’t be bothered by outside noise. As Benny says though ( and I totally agree) earplugs are sanity savers for me when I’m traveling. Have a great trip. X

Reply to: Thoughts on two hotel options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted