We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping

I have a free morning with my teenage granddaughter, where's the best place to take her shopping. Somewhere chic and cheap please?

6 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,977 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

Probably Livingstone. :-)

Passeig de Gràcia is mainly chic and expensive. I would wander around the Vila de Gracia area I think. Plenty of independent shops there, plus it's nice for a walk. There's a market and Plaça de la Vila de Gràcia is one of many lovely places to stop for a coffee/snack but best bet is to just drift around the streets, I think. Head for Fontana metro and explore the area behind you as you leave the station. I think I'd turn left out of the station then take another left along Carrer d'Asturies to start, then just go where the whim takes you, trying to include Plaça de la Vila, Plaça del Sol, perhaps ending up at Plaça d'en Joanic for the Joanic metro station to get where you want to be next.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

Portal de L'Àngel and Carrer del Pelai have what you're looking for. Lots of cheap chains like Mango, Stradivarius and C&A.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

Their are some great independent stores as mentioned but cheap they dont tend to be. Then again i dont know what cheap is for you. I second Portal de l'angel as there your granddaugher will discover some great spanish chains which im sure she is already familiar with

Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

If she's like my niece she know what she wants and it's usually brand names that can be found along the mentioned Passeig de Gracia, Portal de l'Àngel and generic shopping centers (like Diagonal Mar, Glòries' L'illa, La Maquinista, Haron City, Gran Via 2).

I suggest you ask her.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,977 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

Asking her is a good idea.

Portal de l'Angel is easy to get to, but not exactly chic - of course views on what's chic differ somewhat and it's been a while since I've needed to worry too much about that. As for shopping centres, you might as well stick to Livingstone - it could actually be cheaper. I'm sort of thinking, back to my own teenage years, I'd rather buy something that I couldn't get at home than something that anybody could - and also it might be the experience that counts. I don't spend much time at all shopping on holiday, but independent shops definitely appeal more. Mango, H&M etc. are the same anywhere. C&A could be a novelty, though, as they became extinct here in 2001 - although I think there's an on-line presence. I don't remember them as being particularly teen-friendly but things could have changed.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,750 posts
3,767 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

Good shopping streets downtown are Portal de l’Angel, Portaferrisa and Pelayo. El Corte Ingles is a large department store located at Plaza de Catalunya.

Reply to: Shopping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted