We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Barcelona

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Barcelona

Hello all forum readers in Barcelona.

My wife and I are flying into Barcelona for 3 days and then flying out through the main airport (El Prat ). We will do some sightseeing and use the metro a few times and possibly the bus service.

Is the Hola BCN 3 day travel card the most economical way to travel during our brief stay?

Any advice is greatly appreciated😀

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
El Prat de Llobregat, Spain
Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,093 Reviews
from US$43.80*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
632 Reviews
from US$109.50*
Best Seller
Priority Access: Best of Barcelona...
1,719 Reviews
from US$102.60*
11 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,793 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

Simple answer - No. Check the forum for details. The T-10 will be perfect for your needs.

BTW I'm not in Barcelona, so perhaps this isn't the answer you wanted.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

Thanks very much for the reply.

Can we buy a T10 ticket at the airport and also buy the airport supplement ticket for each of us which would be a 9:20 euro additional cost. I like to pay the least possible for travel while my better half thinks I am too tight.

If that works, how often do the trains come as we need to get to Placa Catalunya (red line) Last question; can we share the T10 card?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,793 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

You can buy the T-10 at the T1 tobacconist (cash only, I believe) or from machines at the airport railway station at T2 (free shuttle from T1). You need a single zone ticket and it will be €10.20. For that you get 10 journeys (or 5 journeys each).

I don't know what you mean by the 9:20 airport supplement ticket. You can get from the airport to Placa de Catalunya by train, then metro for 1 validation on the T-10 each, or €1.02 x 2.

Trains are every 30 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

Your better half may be right. It depends on where you are coming from, where you are going to, how tired you are, how many bags you have, etc. For example, if you are staying near one of the 4 stops of the Aerobus, that may be your best bet to get into town from BCN - just 5.90 per person one way. Or, you may find a taxi to be the best bet - they aren't that expensive and they are convenient. Only you and your wife can decide if it is worth getting to the T2 rail station and waiting up to 30 minutes for a train (and possibly then needing to change to a metro). You may want to listen to her.😀

Mentioned in this post
Aerobus
Aerobus
13,786 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
El Prat de Llobregat, Spain
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

Thank you for your replies. We will be arriving around 2:00 pm after a business class seat from Australia (very costly but a once only)

My understanding is that that I can buy a metro train ticket for 4.60 euro each from terminal one to a L1 red line station and then use a T10 ticket from Torrassa station to Catalunya, which is a quick walk to our accommodation. The metro runs every 7 minutes apparently.

Is this correct? We will take a couple of metro and possible bus trips during the 3 days, but not very many.

We will then need to get to the airport 3 days later. I would assume the reverse travel method would be best way and most economical way to go.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

I will let others comment on the problems with the L9S line from the Airport, but it is widely regarded as not a good way to go. If I am following you, you want to spend 4.60 plus 1.02 for the T-10 ride per person to get to Placa Catalunya - changing lines, with a total of 22 stops (13 on the L9S and 9 on the L1), when you can jump on the Aerobus for 5.90 per person and get to Catalunya with 4 stops, in less than 30 minutes, after you have sprung for business class airfare from Oz? Do I have that right? [Someone else can say if you need to spend the extra T-10 ride, which seems unlikely, but even if not, you are saving all of 1.30 Euro per person.] Enjoy!

BTW, FWIW, if you buy the RT Aerobus ticket, it is only 10.20, or 5.10 each way.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Aerobus
Aerobus
13,786 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Euro Hotel Barcelona Port
Euro Hotel Barcelona Port
648 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

Thank you for the advice.

Yes we have paid plenty for the business class flight. Hopefully the 22 hours in the front seats will be memorable.

Normally though, I am just a very frugal (my wife says tight ) person who will save a dollar if possible. The bus sounds like a good option. I will try and convince the better half. She loves taxis, which are a rip off to me.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,793 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

Taxis are inexpensive in Barcelona. Certainly cheaper than in Melbourne. After that flight she deserves a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

Thanks again for all advice.

We have booked the aerobus online (savings 😀) for a return trip and will buy the T10 ticket when we arrive in the city centre.

Have a great morning/day/evening wherever you are in the world!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Barcelona

Wow, kudos to the OP. Aggressive and preemptive! FWIW, you don’t save anything on the Aerobus by buying in advance. The price is the same on the bus. All you do is foreclose discussion. Have a great trip!

But, for the benefit of anyone else following this thread who wants to head to the area of Placa Catalunya from BCN, my advice is:

1. Don’t consider the metro – there are better options. And unless it is important to you to save every Euro and you don’t care about dragging bags, changing, and waiting, I also would not take the train.

2. The Aerobus to Placa Catalunya is a decent option for 1 or 2 people, at 5.90 per person (5.20 with a return ticket), but you still have to wait up to 10 minutes for the bus (or more, if there is a line), drag your bags, keep your eye on them, and then get dropped off somewhere other than your hotel or apartment.

3. The taxi for 30-35 Euros door to door is an excellent option, certainly the fastest, most convenient and most comfortable, and the price is reasonable.

Best suggestion – wait until you arrive and see how you (and your traveling companions) feel, and how long the Aerobus line is, if any, and then decide between a taxi and Aerobus. 7 out of 10 times, like Chris, I would take the cab, particularly after an intercontinental flight. But everyone has different values, and there are times I have taken Aerobus.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 22:53
Mentioned in this post
Aerobus
Aerobus
13,786 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain