We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

Bensalem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

Which beach bar would you suggest for a delicious, inexpensive lunch and drinks right on Barceloneta beach? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Barceloneta Beach
Barceloneta Beach
8,400 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
BelleBuon
$$ - $$$, Italian
Bo Kaap
$$ - $$$, Cafe, Fusion
The Pan's Club
$, Mediterranean, Healthy, Street Food
12 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,454 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

Do you have any in mind?

Bensalem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

Not particularly. All the ones I’ve been coming across either are very expensive, don’t have a good casual/beach atmosphere, or have a boring menu. Am I expecting too much? Is there even such a place?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,454 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

I can't see a date on here which is not helpful and some of the information might be out of date. A couple mentioned are in La Barceloneta.

https:/…the-best-chiringuitos-in-barcelona

Mentioned in this post
La Barceloneta
La Barceloneta
1,867 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,454 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

There might be such a place. There are some forum members who have their own favourites. Exciting menus can come at a price, though.

Personally we tend to avoid beach dining, because of the combination of sand, wind, exposure to the sun and (perhaps not in Barcelona) near-naked, oily people. Boring is subjective of course but I feel we've had some exciting lunches in less touristy spots.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 20:29
Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Bensalem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

Thanks! I will check out that site. I’m normally not one for beach dining either, but we are planning to spend one afternoon AT the beach so wanted somewhere we can quickly pop in for lunch right before without feeling underdressed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

Check out Xup Xup. Casual seafood, on a platform on the sand just off the concrete walk. Not truly "inexpensive" - more moderate. Also - keeping with double talk - check Makamaka beach burger cafe (on Joan Borbo where it comes into Placa del Mar). Very casual and inexpensive, and one of the only burger places we thought was good enough to return to (decent burgers are very tough to find in Barcelona - these were a reasonable approximation in a casual, beach vibe). Kaiku is also pretty good - on Placa del Mar.

I only tried one of the typical Xiringuitos on the beach once, ordered a burger (before I know how hard it was to find even a decent burger) and got a gray, seemingly steamed, slab of lukewarm mystery meat that was inedible. Never Again.

Mentioned in this post
Xup Xup Restaurant
Xup Xup Restaurant
575 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Makamaka
Makamaka
1,779 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Bar Joan
Bar Joan
147 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Del Mar
Hotel Del Mar
697 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Kaiku
Kaiku
397 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Bensalem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

What you’re describing about the typical xiringuitos is exactly the vibe I was getting from reading reviews. Glad I asked!

Xup Xup and MakaMaka both sound great and just what we’re looking for. Simply for the fact that Xup Xup is closer to the water, I think we’ll probably go with that one, but MakaMakas burgers and cocktails sounds delicious.

It looks like Xup Xup has a fixed price “executive menu” for 22€ for Appetizer, Entree, Dessert and Drink. It says “available from midday.” If we go around 2:30-3pm (they open at 11), do you expect they would still be offering this menu? We will be coming from a 12:45 Sagrada Familia guided tour.

Mentioned in this post
Xup Xup Restaurant
Xup Xup Restaurant
575 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Makamaka
Makamaka
1,779 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
135,470 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

Sorry, but I don't know. And, as you will see from the reviews, the food isn't the best, but we have had pretty good results on about 4 visits (including decent paella, very good fried boquerones (which they don't always have), and very good caipirinhas, two of which can make you forget everything else). And the location is excellent.

Cascais, Portugal
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

I would recommend biting the bullet on the cost and eat at one of the many chiringuitos anywhere along the boardwalk. Several of them even figure in the top 10 of all restaurants in Barcelona on this very website - which is a bit ridiculous, but it makes sense when you dine and drink there: Friendly, easy, good beach vibe, usually ok pub fare. Nothing to complain about. And they're not that expensive either depending on what you eat.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?

Top 10?? In Barcelona?? Spain?? Home of Disfrutar, Lasarte, ABaC, Moments, Tickets, Enigma, Bodega 1900, even Casa Alfonso, Can Majo, Taberna Milgritos, Cal Pep, Passidis del Pep, Quimet i Quimet, El Xampanyet, Tapeo, Ten's, I could go on. . . . . Sorry, I see it, but that is more than A BIT ridiculous. Many of the reviews are the only review by the reviewer. Enough to make your head spin. The TA police ought to check these out!

Edited: 14 June 2018, 07:40
Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Disfrutar
Disfrutar
1,499 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Restaurante Lasarte
Restaurante Lasarte
925 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
ABaC
ABaC
1,594 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Casa Alfonso
Casa Alfonso
1,168 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Cal Pep
Cal Pep
2,093 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
El Xampanyet
El Xampanyet
2,276 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Tapeo
Tapeo
2,729 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Ten's Barcelona
Ten's Barcelona
821 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Reply to: Inexpensive casual lunch on the beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted