We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girona/Figueres Day Trip

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Topic
Girona/Figueres Day Trip

We are in Barcelona, and I would like to do a day trip to Girona/Figueres on Friday with the primary objective of getting to the Dali Museum. I have a few questions:

1) Can we do both cities in one day?

2) We are staying near Palau de la Música. How would you suggest we arrange transportation from there?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Figueres
Figueres
Palau
Palau
Sardinia, Italy
13 replies to this topic
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

Personally i would say that Girona deserves a day of your time. Lovely city and well worth exploring. Train would be your best option to get there.

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,052 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

You can but it's a stretch and you'll be pressured with time. To do this take the fast train, not the regular Rodalies trains and leave as early as possible. I suggest starting with the Dalí Theatre-Museum, which opens now (and until the end of September) at 9am. The fast train takes 55 minutes )regular train takes 1h40-2h35, depending on the train) and the station is not the regular city center one but at the outskirts of Figueres and called Figueres Vlafant. There is a shuttle service to the city (not free).

Book this train in advance at the Renfe website (remember, the station to choose is "Figueres Vlafant")

From there take the train to Girona. In this case you can take a regular train as it's just 28-37 minutes (fast train is 14 minutes but it is quicker to get to the central city station so you'll only gain a few minutes).

In Girona both stations are in the same location at the city center. I suggest eating lunch in Girona as there are more, and mostly better, options.

You can also book the fast train back to Barcelona (39 minutes, regular is 1h10-1h50 depending on the train) but as you're no longer in a hurry you can take a regular train that enables you to be flexible (as there is no need, nor an option, to pre book). You can decide, of course, on the spot as both regular and fast trains are there (regular trains are at the old station above the entrance hall and the fast trains are below ground with a separate entrance connected to the main building).

For the fast train you'll need to go to the main train station Sants. From your location you can walk to Pl. Catalunya and take one or the Rodalies trains to Sants (you can also take L3) or take the V15 or V17 bus, near Plau de La Música (on Via Laietana) and change to the H10 bus.

On the way back, if you take a regular train you can get off at Passeig de Gracia and walk, or take the V17 bus from Carrer de Pau Claris.

Mentioned in this post
Figueres
Figueres
Girona
Girona
Barcelona
Barcelona
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Passeig de Gracia
Passeig de Gracia
12,309 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Pau
Pau
Communaute d'Agglomeration Pau-Pyrenees, France
Hotel Claris
Hotel Claris
2,103 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

OP, you can rely on the excellent comprehensive answer from Amir. I will just add a couple of nit picky thoughts. To me, the easiest and fastest way by far to get to Sants from near the Palau Musica is to walk to Placa Catalunya and take the Rodalies train - just 5 minutes and one stop to Sants. As Amir says, the fast train (AVE) drops you at Figueres-Vilafant station (note the i before the l) outside of the center between the towns of Figueres and Vilafant. If you miss the shuttle bus, you can take a cab to the center for about 10 Euros. The local train station, for your trip to Girona is the regular "Figueres" station, which is in the center of Figueres, about a 10-15 minute walk from the Dali Museum (walking briskly). It will be a jam packed day, but it is do-able. FWIW, we really enjoyed the restaurant Nu in Girona (check lunch hours), but it may be a bigger deal, and take more time than you are looking to spend.

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
Sardinia, Italy
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Figueres
Figueres
Girona
Girona
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

Thanks for the thoughts! Girona isn't a must see for me, more an add on, so would it be better just to spend the day in Figueres? Or something else altogether.

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

If you are interested in Dali, the Theater Museum is remarkable, and Girona is an excellent "add on," which, as Tongo says, itself has plenty to see. OTOH, if you aren't a Dali fan, consider Tarragona, which has excellent Roman ruins (including an amphitheater, circus, and a spectacular aqueduct just out of town), an interesting Medieval core, and an archeological walk along the walls (which Girona also has).

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

OK, cool. I'm really going for Dali, so I'm going to give it a shot. I think I figured it out. I see that there is a train from Barcelona to Figueres-Vilifant at 825AM. So a few questions since I have yet to take the metro, and it's a little new to me...

I know how to walk from Palau de la Música to Placa Catalunya. I am a little unclear about how to get to Sants, since I don't see that as a metro station. I do rememember seeing a metro station of Placa Catalunya though... Is Sants a metro stop? If so what line is it on, I don't see one on my lists of metro... If not, a little more info would be awesome.

Finally, I don't have a printer, so can I show my prepurchased high speed train tickets from my phone? Also, what time should I leave from Palaue de la Musica to be 15 minutes early to my 825AM train... ;)

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Figueres
Figueres
Palau
Palau
Sardinia, Italy
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

One more question... Looking at tickets it has 930-950 available for Friday. Can I make that if we are on the 825 fast train?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

In the middle of the Placa Catalunya metro station is a Rodalies train station (these are regular local trains that run underground in the center of the city, not metros). That is where you get the trains to Sants. One stop. 5 minutes. They run very frequently (often, every 5 minutes or less). So walk to the Placa Catalunya metro station and ask for the rodalies train to Sants (they are pretty obvious). You can use your T-10 ticket (if you have one) for the rodalies train, or look to see if you have a Combinado Circanias code on your AVE/AVANT ticket and punch that into the ticket machine for a free ticket (someone else can tell you if you get the code on your ticket to Figueres-Vilafant). Scout it out the next time you are in Placa Catalunya.

I am sorry, but I don’t know if you can show your phone on the Renfe train. Someone else should answer.

That is cutting it pretty close. The 8:25 train should get to F-V at 9:20 (they run on time). By the time you get to the front of the station, figure 9:25 - 9:30. If you get a cab (and there should be one, but no guarantee), you should be able to make it to near the museum in about 10-15 minutes, but I am not sure how close to the museum they are allowed to drop you. If everything goes perfectly, you should just make it, but you might be better off and have less stress with the next time slot.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Figueres
Figueres
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

Thanks so very much. I think I figured it all out, and am really good to go!!!! So excited for the day and I appreciate everyones thoughts!

Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,052 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Girona/Figueres Day Trip

In Plaça Catalunya there is an underground complex that includes the L1 and L3 metro stations, the Rodalies (commuter trains) station and the FGC station (commuter train and a few metro lines operator).

The Rodalies train is in between the two platforms of L1 (if you'll use it you'll see it). All parts are connected underground but it can include long tunnels and stairs so the best thing to do is to use the entrance closest to the station you want. For the Rodalies trains the closest entrance for someone coming from Via Laietana is the one next to the El Corte Inglés department store near the corner with Passeig de Gràcia and Ronda Sant Pere.

All you need to do is follow the signs.

This is the Rodalies sign, that you need (the lines are also marked and will be R1, R3, R4 - any one of them will take you to Sants).

You can check the schedule here

http://rodalies.gencat.cat/en

For general knowledge,

Metro stations are marked with this sign

https:/…1200px-Barcelona_Metro_Logo.svg.png

FGC stations with theis sign

https:/…2000px-FGC.svg.png

And Rodalies with this sign

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commo…

In some places you might see the Cercanías sign (which is Rodalies in most other parts of Spain)

https:/…IlAWTQNt_400x400.png

As for names.

The train station names in the city are preceded by "Barcelona", so "Barcelona Sants", "Barcelona-Passeig de Gracia" etc. The metro station at the Sants train station is called "Sants Estació"

The buses I've mentioned are also a great and easy way to travel around the city.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
465 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Corte
Corte
Corsica, France
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Spain