We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarragona - general opinion

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tarragona - general opinion

Hi all

We are coming to Spain in end July - begin August, and would like to combine a city-trip with a bit of beaching.

Thus we were thinking of staying close to Barcelona and staying few days in Barcelona itself at the end of our holiday, but before that spending about a week in a smaller coastal town swimming and sunbathing.

So my question is: is Tarragona worth staying there for a week? is it pretty? Are beaches nice and in the walking distance? Are there cafés and restaurants?

I'm asking all those questions because everybody here seems to recommend Tarragona for a day out of Barcelona - when in fact we want to do the opposite.

And are there any other nearby towns that would be interesting to stay in, instead of Tarragona? (I don't mean resorts.)

Thanks in advance!

A

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarragona - general opinion

Tarragona is a fine city, but most visitors go there interested on their Roman remains and Medieval old town. Tarragona is not what I'd say a "smaller coastal town" but a medium sized city, with a nice city centre, a huge port and industrial areas... and some decent beaches. Beach is not its main attraction (even it has some decent beaches).

If your main interest is swimming and sunbathing, I would better stay in a smaller town as Sitges (more touristy and 'international', at that time it will be packed... but as well any other beach in this area) or Vilanova i la Geltrú (more local). You can do easily a daytrip to Tarragona and other beach towns from there if you like. BTW, Vilanova has a great festival by the beginning of August, with both traditional parades and street events and concerts and fireworks at night (you may like to join or to avoid this).

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarragona - general opinion

Thanks, Belsaita, you gave me a really good overview.

I was actually aware that Tarragona is bigger and not just a small town (bad choice of words), but that's OK, as it probably means there are more places to stay / shops / restaurants etc.

(Another point of worry was the size of the port and the closeness of the industrial areas in T.)

But all in all, I think I understand your point: going to Tarragona would be in a way like going to Barcelona to enjoy the beach, am I right?

I have read about Sitges, but it indeed sounds too touristy.

Vilanova sounds nice (festival too), I'll check it out.

Thanks again!

A.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarragona - general opinion

Romesco is a delicious sauce originated in Tarragona.

belsaita, where to enjoy a good 'romescaire' lunch in Tarragona?

4. Re: Tarragona - general opinion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Tarragona