We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Safari and other sights in one day

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Dolphin Safari and other sights in one day

Hi all,

We are going to be in Gibralter in August for 1 day while on a Princess Med cruise. We have never been to Gibralter before and are keen to see the following: St Michael's Cave, the apes on the rock and if possible we are also keen to do the dolphin safari. None of the ship excursions offer the dolphin safari and the sights and the timings don't work for doing 2 separate tours. We are in port from 9-4 and are not averse to organising some or all of it ourselves privately but we don't want to use the cable car as I don't like heights and hate cable cars. Could we get a taxi at the cruise port to take us to the main sights and then drop us at the dolphin safari? How far is it from the port and would there be taxis around to get us back to our ship. Whatever happens don't want to miss the ship back as 4pm departure is quite early. Any advice gratefully received.

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
700 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Dolphin Safari and other sights in one day

There are two dolphin boat operators - the original Dolphin Safari (blue boat) and Dolphin Adventure (yellow boat).

Their staff are fiercely competitive to sign up people for trips before the other operator does.

The blue boat is smaller so more intimate - espeically if the yellow boat is busy, but the yellow boat being bigger can also appeal to people. Regardless of which you use, you will have a good time I'm sure, while not guaranteed, they have a very good track record of finding the dolphins etc.

Both operate from the Marina Bay / Ocean Village area - which is a short walk from the cruise liner terminal.

Unless you have a mobility issues, I'd probably just walk back to your boat. Or walk from Marina Bay / Ocean Village to makeet place (just outside casemates square) where a taxi shuttle service operates when big cruise ships are in.

I'd strongly suggest you prioritise getting up the rock - as the dolphins are not unique.

The most important things for people to do are (1) get up the rock, (2) get inside the rock while up the rock (Cave and tunnels etc).

Sadly some day trip visitors stay at ground level.

As you will have arrived / departed by boat, getting to europa point, etc I think is slihghly less imporant than it is for a land based visitor, etc.

How big is your group? If you are four+ people, it starts to become viable to arrange your own thing.

As long as you go up the rock, you will see the monkeys, don't worry about that bit.

Given limited time, I'd focus your tour on the top of the rock, cave, great siege tunnels, etc.

but lets consider time.

is 9-4 your official shoretime,or is it docking and departure time? If that is docking time, then add some time to get ashore, then some saftey margin to get back.

Evne if you did not get off the boat until 10, you could do a rock tour in 2 hours. Which still gives you time for the dolphin trip.

I think it is achievable, - but check the times of their sailings on the day in question.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
561 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Dolphin Safari and other sights in one day

There is a good chance of seeing dolphins (we did) as you sail into Gibraltar and will have a better view from the cruise ship as you will be higher up than using the dolphin boats but if you do the dolphin tour I would pick the yellow boats as they have twin hulls as opposed to single hull of the blue boats.

However, priority number one as mentioned in last post is get up the rock and experience it. As you don’t like the cable car and if not doing the ships tours then it’s a taxi and it’s normal for them to do rock tours. St Michaels cave and the Siege tunnels are top of the list. You should still have time for the shops and souvenirs, English money is used.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
3. Re: Dolphin Safari and other sights in one day

As you disembark the ship in the port you will see mini-coaches advertising trips to the rock. they take about eight people in each coach and the guides are excellent, friendly and knowledgeable.

We have used them three times now, and they work out much cheaper than the organised trips from the ship.

Don't attempt to feed the apes as they will bite! But the guides will probably find a juvenile which you can handle and have a photo taken.

Reply to: Dolphin Safari and other sights in one day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar
Recent Conversations